The future is here, almost!!!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi Everyone.

This is pretty neat, Star Wars doesn't look so far away after you see this.
It gives you a feel for what the world is really going to look like in only a few years.

Microsoft is looking for insiders to test this now, and it is available for developers, who can spend the $3,000 on the head set.

Opening Windows Holographic to Partners for a New Era of Mixed Reality

I'm going to do some more research on this.

Here it is...

Microsoft HoloLens

This looks totally like the future, that I thought was 20 years away, they say they project sales of 80,000 units a year only 4 years from now.

Mike

Last edited:
I would have to sell the farm!:D Only 3000$. I'll take 10. I know all my great grand kids will want one!
I think I'll wait until after the election. We may not make another 4 years.:rofl: Hell I might not make another 4 years.:rofl:

Hi

Yes a little rich for my blood too, but I'd sure like to try one of these.
You can imagine where this is going especially for gamers etc.

But imagine, all you need is a remote camera and you could be standing on the moon.
Or talking face to face with people half a world away, Pretty neat.

Mike

That would be an improvement, but when I went to the MS site to find a price $3,000 is what it said.

I'll look again.

Last edited:
Hi Neemo

It sounds really neat, but I'd like to see it work before I would buy it, and I don't want to pay $3,000.
Buy maybe by the time it goes retail the price will be down.

I'm a big stereo fan, started out doing Anaglyphic Images (Red, Blue glasses) way back before 3D monitors, and I'm really interested in VR, but I don't have a head set yet.

I do have a Stereo Monitor and Nvidia 3D Vision, and I've learned how to create my own 3D images.

I use Poser, a 3D illustration program that has real depth in the illustration, then I create 2 images, with the camera offset to represent eye spacing.

When the 2 images are combined in 3D Image maker they can be saved as an MPO file that can be viewed in Nvidia 3D Vision Photo Viewer.

I've done 3D video in the past, but since I upgraded to Windows 10 I'm having problems with Codecs.
I can't open my .avi files in 3D Movie maker because I says I don't have the right codecs but I haven't been able to figure out what I need.

I've installed several different MPG codecs but still get the message.
I've been working on that today but still no luck.

I'm going to go now and see if I can find a forum for the 3D movie creator.

Mike

I'm a big stereo fan, started out doing Anaglyphic Images (Red, Blue glasses) way back before 3D monitors, and I'm really interested in VR, but I don't have a head set yet.

Hi,

How did you get on with your project? Do you think you could offer me any advice on my attempts to try 3D anaglyph videos?

Hi

I did quite a lot of it back then, that was five years ago.
I miss the fact that I can't do the 3D stuff anymore because when I went to a UHD monitor, there isn't anything available that will do it.
It takes a 144 fps refresh rate so that both eyes can run a 60 fps.

I'd love to try it on my 34" monitor in UHD I did try when I first got it, but it wouldn't work.

I made short 3D movie clips in Poser by taking my scene that I created it in 3D and making two images of it, set apart to represent the left and right eye. Then when processes through this software you would get a file that could be opened in 3D vision and viewed in stereo.

It really worked, I could even make video by creating the video twice from left and right eye perspective, and it would create a stereo movie file.

I did a bunch of stuff using Nvidia 3D vision. It was great because you could play regular modern 3D games like Tomb Raider in stereo just by putting on the glasses. It really worked and looked convincing. I don't think they even make 3D vision stuff any more because of VR.

I don't know if anyone even sells compatible monitors anymore.

However, you don't need one to do the anaglyph 3D images.
It's been so long that I'm really fuzzy about how I did them now. You can buy good 3D red blue glasses though.

I'll have to look for the name of the programs there were two free programs that would convert a 3D image like a game screenshot to red blue format so that you could view them on your monitor in stereo. I did the same thing, made two screenshots in the game moving the camera a little left or right. Then ran the two images through this software.

I'm 83, so my memory isn't what it once was, but you need this free software.
Let me see if I can find them on my computer someplace and let you know what they are.

Mike

Here is one of the programs, I remember that there were two programs one made 3D video and one made 3D images.
Here's the video one...

And I think this is the 3D image maker that I used...

Last edited:
Hi

I did quite a lot of it back then, that was five years ago.
I miss the fact that I can't do the 3D stuff anymore because when I went to a UHD monitor, there isn't anything available that will do it.
It takes a 144 fps refresh rate so that both eyes can run a 60 fps.

I'd love to try it on my 34" monitor in UHD I did try when I first got it, but it wouldn't work.

I made short 3D movie clips in Poser by taking my scene that I created it in 3D and making two images of it, set apart to represent the left and right eye. Then when processes through this software you would get a file that could be opened in 3D vision and viewed in stereo.

It really worked, I could even make video by creating the video twice from left and right eye perspective, and it would create a stereo movie file.

I did a bunch of stuff using Nvidia 3D vision. It was great because you could play regular modern 3D games like Tomb Raider in stereo just by putting on the glasses. It really worked and looked convincing. I don't think they even make 3D vision stuff any more because of VR.

I don't know if anyone even sells compatible monitors anymore.

However, you don't need one to do the anaglyph 3D images.
It's been so long that I'm really fuzzy about how I did them now. You can buy good 3D red blue glasses though.

I'll have to look for the name of the programs there were two free programs that would convert a 3D image like a game screenshot to red blue format so that you could view them on your monitor in stereo. I did the same thing, made two screenshots in the game moving the camera a little left or right. Then ran the two images through this software.

I'm 83, so my memory isn't what it once was, but you need this free software.
Let me see if I can find them on my computer someplace and let you know what they are.

Mike

Here is one of the programs, I remember that there were two programs one made 3D video and one made 3D images.
Here's the video one...

And I think this is the 3D image maker that I used...

Wow thank you very much for your response. I will look into these.

Back
Top Bottom