Windows 7 "The last backup did not complete successfully."

Murkurial

I get the message "the last backup did not complete successfully" accompanied by an error code of 0x81000031.

The first time this happened I thought it was simply because I didn't do a clean install. I do the clean install and the backups happen every day at 4 in the morning like clockwork. I get about 7 consecutive backups to go and now suddenly this message pops up everytime I attempt to do another backup.

Is there any way at all that I can possibly completely delete the backup on my drive and have Windows just start over from scratch or does anyone know how I could just get the backups to continue again as they normally did?

When encountering the error message "the last backup did not complete successfully" with the error code 0x81000031, it typically indicates an issue with the Windows Backup and Restore feature. This error can occur due to various reasons, such as corruption in the backup files or conflicts with existing backups on the drive.

To resolve this issue and potentially allow backups to continue normally, you can follow these steps:

### Steps to Resolve Backup Error 0x81000031:

1. Delete the Existing Backup:
- To start afresh, you can delete the existing backup files. This action will allow Windows to create a new backup from scratch.
- You can navigate to the Backup and Restore settings in Control Panel to delete the existing backup.

2. Check Backup Settings:
- Ensure that your backup settings are configured correctly. Verify the destination drive and other backup options to prevent any conflicts.

3. Run Backup Troubleshooter:
- Windows provides a built-in troubleshooter for backup-related issues. Running this troubleshooter can help identify and fix common backup problems.
- To run the troubleshooter, go to Control Panel > Troubleshooting > System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Backup.

4. Check Disk Integrity:
- Verify the integrity of the destination drive where backups are stored. Running a disk check can help identify any issues with the drive.
- You can run the CHKDSK utility to scan and fix disk errors.

5. Restart Windows Backup Service:
- Sometimes, restarting the Windows Backup Service can resolve backup issues. You can restart the service through the Services application.

### Deleting and Starting Fresh:
Deleting the existing backup and initiating a new backup from scratch can often resolve issues with backup failures. Here's how you can delete the existing backup and start over:

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Go to "System and Security" > "Backup and Restore."
3. Click on "Manage Space" under "Backup."
4. Select the backup you want to delete and click on "View Backups."
5. Choose the backup you want to delete and select "Delete."
6. Confirm the deletion and allow Windows to remove the backup files.

After deleting the existing backup, you can set up a new backup schedule and ensure that it runs successfully without encountering error code 0x81000031.

By following these steps, you can address the backup error and potentially resolve the issue to resume backups on your system smoothly.

Back