This is new! Folder shows in Widows Explorer, but not in Open Dialog?

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
Yeah I don't get it. It seems like they just complicated the issue with all that. I guess they're just showing all the Height to Width ratios you can use. But immediately under the table it says this:

"NOTE:
Images must be less than 256kb in size. Thanks for pushing me to investigate, Jay C".

I guess that's all that really matters. I set mine up soon after the Release Candidate came out. That's been like a year and a half ago. It's not too fresh in my mind any more.

Veegertx

Extraordinary Member
With Irfanview I start with huge 1920 x 1200 nice image. I copy to new name (background768x1280.jpg) and change first image resolution to what is needed. Then I compress with Irfanview.

This is what I done hacking imagres.dll

View attachment 11764

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I finally think I get it, I started with a 1920 by 1200 image.

I saved it as a .jpg file and I couldn't get the size below 256 K, no matter how high I set the jpg compression.

I started making it smaller step by step and finally at 1300 by 870 using almost maximum compression (there is a compression slider when you save it) I could get the file down to 256 k.

I plugged it into the folder and it works.
The image isn't real sharp because of the compression but it's usable.

Mike

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
Awesome. It's good to get rid of that gay looking Windows log on screen isn't it? I never really hated it but I thought I could do better.

Veegertx

Extraordinary Member
I am keeping same resolution 1920 x 1200 2.15 MB and drop it to 1920 x 1200 592 KB
That is size needed for img0.jpg found in a lot of places.

I originally was using Paintshop 7 really old version I had but each time it starts the taskbar goes dull. Thats when I found Irfanview would do what I needed

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.