Too much CPU

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Asmodeus, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Im getting 100% CPU usage even when my comp's idling.
    Anyone know what the problem might be,or how i can rectify it?
    It's not happening all the time,but very frequently.
    Im using a Pentium D Dual core 2 x 2.8GHz on an x64 Windows 7 Ultimate.

#1 Asmodeus, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. Highwayman

Highwayman Extraordinary Member

Sure thats not Taskmanager's "system idle" showing 90-99% activity ??? since thats whats supposed to happen when PC is idle

3. confused

confused New Member

open up task manager to check out whats taking most cpu usage. Specially made in windows 7. My guess is its your free firewall. You need norton or trend.

4. nehoma

nehoma Honorable Member

Just to add to and clarify previous comments open Task Manager and click in "processes" and it will show which process is using what amount of CPU

5. ocgw

ocgw New Member

The Pentium D is not a dual core cpu, it is a hyper threaded cpu w/ 2 "logical cores", My daughter had a Pressler Pentium D 641 3.2Ghz, and I had to upgrade her to a true dual core cpu to get Windows 7 running smoothly on her PC

ocgw

peace

john3347 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. john3347

john3347 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Thank You for this information

I have wondered about that and questioned why my "Core 2 Duo" shows two core temperatures yet my "Pentium D 830" (advertised as dual core) only shows one core temperature. It does clearly state on the box and in all literature that it is dual core. This sounds like a play with words without specifying "logical cores" and no explanation to the purchaser. Perhaps this is why my Windows 7 installation (on the Pentium D 830) displays much of the same instability as Vista.

7. epk1950

epk1950 Banned

Read This!
    Pentium D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Peace!

8. ocgw

ocgw New Member

'My bad, I stand corrected, my daughters cpu was actually a Cedar Mills, not the same as your cpu, hers did have 2 logical cores and I think is a pentium 4 about 1 year older than yours

ocgw

peace

#8 ocgw, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  9. Radenight

Radenight New Member

I would avoid Norton at all cost.. ;) It is absolute junk in my opinion.. Uses far too many system resources and just doesn't work very well at all.. :)

10. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I agree on the Norton. It came installed on my new PC last fall. I finally got so disgusted with it I uninstalled it and switched to Avast and Comodo firewall.
    Joe

11. epk1950

epk1950 Banned

Yea true, Not just that but them adding there addons to firefox as well which was a leg and arm to deal with "nis2009", the best norton I like is and was NIS2008, 2009 went limp and downhill, from the interface to everything about it was completely wrong. nis2008 I had all the control I wanted. not supported under w7 64 bit. I am using Comodo Firewall 64bit which seems to be the best concerning using as 32 bit firewall on an 64 os is not safe.

#11 epk1950, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  12. epk1950

epk1950 Banned

Wha? your daughters processor? My processor? p4? one year older than mine? mine what?

13. ocgw

ocgw New Member

My daughters cpu (Cedar Mills) is a predecessor to yours by about 1 year, it has 2 logical cores and is not a true dual core, yours is 1 of the first Intel true dual cores and I got my daughters cpu mixed up w/ yours

my bad

ocgw

peace

14. epk1950

epk1950 Banned

nah my bad I was just confused about incorrect info "The Pentium D is not a dual core cpu, it is a hyper threaded cpu w/ 2 "logical cores".
    all is well. :)

15. RAK

RAK Extraordinary Member

Phew. Offtopic, or Hijacking, hardly scratches this thread. Looks like the OP got bored waiting for an answer -lol

16. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Actually a bit of both!;)
    I performed my 1st Win 7 chk disk,it seems to of sorted the problem out,haven't had 100% CPU since.
    There were a couple of EA files that were sorted,perhaps the root cause of the problem.
    Thanx for everyones input.:)
    Checking the CPU usage with taskmanager was the 1st thing i tried,but taskmanager was the only thing i had running.
    I wouldn't exactly call myself a geek,but im reasonably comp savvy,cheers peeps.

17. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I spoke too soon!:mad:
    Personally i think Microslave RTM'd this OS far too soon.
    For the average comp,it's reasonably stable,but for custom built machines,and machines with custom hardware fitted in,it's not as stable in my opinion as it could be.
    For a corporation as big as M$ these issues should of been sorted ages ago,or not RTM'd until at least next year.

18. Highwayman

Highwayman Extraordinary Member

Ya sure ya got that statement right way around? If anything custom build rigs should be better since that implies better quality parts than the average dell/hp factory assembled pcs. I've personally got 3 custom made PCs all running various flavours of Win7 without issues...even my oldest PC (touching on 7 years old) copes very well.

#18 Highwayman, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  19. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

The Pentium D IS a dual core CPU.:rolleyes:

20. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Well in my own and my friends experience it's THAT way round.
    It could be any number of variables,i give you that,everyone's machine's different.
    I have an old machine Win7's given it a new lease of life.