Windows 7 Top Freeware for a New/Old PC

MrHacker

Top Freeware for a New/Old PC

Hey everyone, here's the top must have freeware for your new/old PC - this list is specifically intended to appeal to users with a new PC or those who have re-installed windows...
ALL THESE SOFTWARE MENTIONED ARE ABSOLUTELY FREE
ALL OF THE PROTECTION COMBINATION SOFTWARE ARE LIGHT ON SYSTEMS RESOURCES - ONLY 60 MEGS ON RAM......No slowdown felt on new/old PC

PROTECTION
-Avast Free Antivirus combined with Threatfire or Comodo Firewall
-Avira Free Antivirus combined with Threatfire
-AVG Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall
-Panda Cloud Free Antivirus combined with Comodo Firewall
-Comodo Internet Security combine with Threatfire - (optional)

VIRUS REMOVAL SOFTWARE – On-Demand Scanners (All of Them)
-Malwarebytes
-Comodo Cleaning Essentials
-Emsisoft Emergency Kit

BROWSER
-Google Chrome
-Mozilla Firefox

AD-BLOCKING SOFTWARE
-AdFender (Only for IE)
-AdBlock

ALL IN ONE MAINTENACE SOFTWARE (Only For Advanced user)
-Glary Utilities
-Advance System Care
-Cloud System Booster
-Slim Cleaner
-Jet Clean
-WinUtilities Free Edition
-360Amigo Sytem Sppedup Free

REGISTRY AND JUNK CLEANERS
-CCleaner (Recomended)
-Auslogics Registry Cleaner
-Wise Registry Cleaner
-Eusing Registry Cleaner

DEFRAG SOFTWARE (Only For Advanced user)
-Auslogics Disk Defrag
-Iobit Smart Defrag
-Defraggler

MULTIMEDIA
-VLC Media Player
-Real Player

FILE COMPRESSION
-Hamster Lite Archiver
-Peazip
-Free RAR Extract Frog
-7-Zip

BURNING SOFTWARE
-CDBurnerXP (works with Win7 although the name writes XP)
-BurnAware
-Ashampoo Burning Studio Free
-ImgBurn

NOTE : Some famous programs are not in this listing.
This is because the programs in this list are of superior quality

and offer superior performance than the famous programs.

Third party software can be fraught with security issues. On the effectiveness of DEP and ASLR - Security Research & Defense - Site Home - TechNet Blogs Microsoft makes mitigation technologies available to developers. Two of those mitigation technologies are Data Execution Prevention (DEP), which helps prevent attackers from executing arbitrary code, and address space layout randomization (ASLR), which makes it difficult for attackers to locate objects, such as DLL files, that they might use to create a successful exploit.
Microsoft studied 41 of the most popular and latest consumer applications -- from Microsoft and others, and found that while 71% of applications fully enable DEP, only 34% of applications fully enable ASLR. Furthermore, 70% of surveyed browser plug-ins don't implement ASLR, while only 20% of surveyed security products fully implement ASLR. As a result, those products and plug-ins, and by extension also IE and Windows, are at greater risk of attack. This is why I avoid plug-ins and toolbars. Secunia has a nice pdf listing a few: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HgtIFg&usg=AFQjCNFjN7TpSdomCcNV9-kbEtnd5afPjg The software is fine when you install it, but is vulnerable to exploits by hackers.

Last edited:
I installed Secunia to keep track of peripheral software, only use ie9, and right now I'm using Mcaffee Security Suite, but haven't determined if it's even worth keeping. I know not to use it with Firefox. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Nah, I'll keep my McAfee, which lasts to next year.
Lot's o' nice freeware, but no downloads from me.

Currently I'm leaning slightly in favor of keeping McAfee, as I get it for free from my isp, I do like the firewall protection. As far as freeware goes, hey, freeware rules! I use ccleaner, heliospaint, adobe reader x, speedfan, batteryinfo, cdburnerxp, eset online scanner,
Soluto, GIMP 2, Secunia PSI, Auslogics disc defrag and registry cleaner, darkwave studio, dupdeterctor, dvd smith, audiograbber, media monkey, quicktime player, Speccy, the sage, unlocker, winamp, wise registry cleaner and wise disk cleaner. all freeware, all work fine with windows 7. I, too, use filehippo, and tucows. :)

Last edited:
For freeware antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, eset online scanner, and Malwarebyte's Antimalware (I would use just those three.)

Back
Top Bottom