Windows 7 tossing your old install yet?

textureDnB

i'm having such a good experience with W7 i don't know if i'll ever use my XP part. again it's just that my OCD won't let me format it without some public opinion.So my question is this: who has or intends to wipe out their former installs be they vista, XP, i'm even hearing of some ubuntu converts.I'm sure most people will obtain seven as soon as it hits the shelves i'm just curious who of us has already made the full commitment and tossed the dual boot.

I love Windows 7.. :) But I won't be tossing a Dual-Boot setup because of it.. I will continue to run Ubuntu on one partition and Windows 7 on another Partition (on my main PC).. And Windows 7 on one partition and Windows XP on another partition (On one of my other pc's).. ;)

When I was using the Beta I still had XP x64 Edition on another partition. Then when I got the RC I installed it over the XP installation. Then I formatted the drive with the Beta on it. I don't miss XP at all. I especially don't miss dual booting.

I admit Windows XP definitely feels and "acts" old but I still find it useful in it's own way.. ;) I still use Windows 7 a lot more then Windows XP though.. :)

Mostly it's dual booting that I wanted to get away from. I've been doing it for about 4 years now. It always ran good for a while but then something would happen and I would end up reinstalling one or both O/s's. Or I would have to edit the Grub Boot Menu in Ubuntu to get it to allow XP.

The last straw was with my wife's laptop. She hated Vista so I set it up to dual boot with XP. Then a while later I upgraded her Vista to W7 for me to try out. I liked it a lot so I put it on my desktop. Then a few weeks later I reverted W7 back to a factory installation of Vista using the Recovery Drive. That broke the XP Boot Loader again. I got it to work again. Then just 2 weeks ago something happened to it and nothing would boot at all. I had to repair Vista and the Recovery drive with the Vista disk and reinstall XP from scratch. It won't boot Vista now and I don't plan to fix it. I'm just sick of this dual boot crap. I think I'm going to install XP on the System Drive and forget about Vista.

Eventually I will come up with the money to build myself a new multicore CPU system. Then I will either reinstall XP x64 or give Ubuntu another try on this one. I gotta say I don't think Ubuntu is all it's cracked up to be either.

Whatever I do you can bet it won't be dual boot.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this rant against dual booting. I just had to get it off my chest and a forum is the only place where people know what I'm talking about.

Mostly it's dual booting that I wanted to get away from. I've been doing it for about 4 years now. It always ran good for a while but then something would happen and I would end up reinstalling one or both O/s's. Or I would have to edit the Grub Boot Menu in Ubuntu to get it to allow XP.

The last straw was with my wife's laptop. She hated Vista so I set it up to dual boot with XP. Then a while later I upgraded her Vista to W7 for me to try out. I liked it a lot so I put it on my desktop. Then a few weeks later I reverted W7 back to a factory installation of Vista using the Recovery Drive. That broke the XP Boot Loader again. I got it to work again. Then just 2 weeks ago something happened to it and nothing would boot at all. I had to repair Vista and the Recovery drive with the Vista disk and reinstall XP from scratch. It won't boot Vista now and I don't plan to fix it. I'm just sick of this dual boot crap. I think I'm going to install XP on the System Drive and forget about Vista.

Eventually I will come up with the money to build myself a new multicore CPU system. Then I will either reinstall XP x64 or give Ubuntu another try on this one. I gotta say I don't think Ubuntu is all it's cracked up to be either.

Whatever I do you can bet it won't be dual boot.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this rant against dual booting. I just had to get it off my chest and a forum is the only place where people know what I'm talking about.

I feel much the same way XP has been very good to me and i feel like i'm deserting it if i re format,and with all the DRM stuff i hear about with vista and seven i feel llike i'm gonna need XP at some point but i've been dual booting with seven since the RC became available and i have had no reason to boot XP. And i tried to dual boot with ubuntu at one point but i think unless you either get lucky or purchase your hardware with linux in mind it's not worth it something will always work a little too poorly to suffer through.The only Distro that I've gotten to work permanently without too much proverbial acrobatics was Puppy, while for old netbooks or my kids old P3 i386 box it's great. To get a second life out of garbage is lots of fun on a capable system Puppy or DSL are just a little silly.

Believe me it's not XP. There was an occasional small glitch but most of the problems I had were because of third party software or my own mistakes. I always liked XP a lot and still do. I just think W7 works a little better and like I said, I don't miss XP.

Last edited:
I for one have left xp behind completely now.

I currently don't use my comp that much anymore so the amount of programs i install is pretty limited as well as comp use, so for what i use it as, and don't get me wrong i am a power user and am pretty fair with tech, it blows me away.

I really only use firefox, anydvd, clonedvd, virtual drive, call me duty 5, far cry 2, warhead, pdf, autoCad, power dvd, office 07, true crypt, yeah thats all that comes to mind.

But i have a collection of images me past xp installs, so for me to go back or switch to a fully functional xp will only take me 8min to restore am image.

I will continue to multiboot. I have XP on the first partition of my notebook's 320 GB HDD and Win 7 RC (and eventually Win 7 Home Premium Gold) on the last partition. I presently have 2 Ubuntu versions (Hardy 64 bit and Intrepid 64 bit) on the same drive as well as PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Gnome and PCLinuxOS 2009.1 KDE.

Everything is controlled by Grub with my /boot/grub/menu.lst residing on my Hardy install.

Windows is default.

Restoring grub using the "SuperGrub CD" after installing Win 7 returned my oriinal grub menu with one difference.
The Windows entry when selected takes me to my Win 7 bootloader. Again Win 7 is default here.

If I don't do anything for 10 seconds Win 7 will boot automatically.

Having said all this I rarely use XP anymore splitting my time between Win 7 and Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit.
I will never give up Linux.

I too screw things up or install apps that screw things up requiring some sort of reinstall.
To avoid that I use "partimage" to create compressed restore images of all my OS partitions and store them on a large Fat32 partition I have for shared data etc. I also store copies off disk (external HDD) as a precaution.

I will create a new image before doing anything that could break something that I can't fix (I don't use System Restore in Windows so that is a real possibility).

I also create new images periodically (every two weeks or so) to keep the images fresh (usually after performing a disk cleanup and defrag in Windows) or after major updates in Linux.

It takes as long as 25 minutes to create a restore image of XP or Win 7 (NTFS support is "experimental" with partimage but I've never had it fail). My Linux installs are much smaller so creating images takes about 5-7 minutes. Restoring images can take from 5 minutes to as low as 2 minutes depending on file size. Partimage restores at the rate of >2 GB/min

Before erasing the old images I have stored I will do a test restore of the new ones to make sure they are OK.

All this takes a little extra work on my part but it's worth it when I break something.

Last edited:
I have moved completely to Windows 7. I don't miss Xp in fact there are times i can't stand it (when at college or at work) because i'm so used to using Vista and 7. If i want to go back to either vista or xp i have images made with all my apps and settings from a fresh(ish) install so it's not much trouble.

I keep Windows 7 on my Laptop and have Ubuntu on an external 500GB Hard Drive along with all my personal files.

Which build do you all prefer?? I just got my new system (sig) and am running Vista x64, but I am thinking to converting to 7 x64, now that the RTM is out. I've always liked Vista from the start! I ran it since 11/06 since RC2, then Vista's RTM in early 12/06, and the final release in early 2/07.

7's RC seems pretty stable, and the RTM is great. What do you guys think? Should I go ahead with an upgrade?

Mods: Oops, guess I'm a total n00b. It double-posted for some reason. Please delete. Thanks

Last edited:
Well i'm still using the RC build 7100 - i can't be bothered upgrading to daily builds. I don't have a technet subscription so i don't think i'll be goin rtm too soon :D

Don't throw rocks at me

I know this is going to be a very unpopular position to hold in this forum, but here goes! (I bought one computer with Vista preinstalled shortly after Vista went GA and that was the biggest disappointment of my "computer life".) I want my OS to just run my applications and not be "in my face" as the main feature of my computer. Applications is the main feature of my computer.

I will probably continue "playing" with Windows 7 until the RC expires then go back to Linux on my "play computer". I see just too much Vista characteristics (instability and file disorganization) in Windows 7. While 7 is improved in most ways over Vista and changed in many ways, (but not improved) over Windows 2000 (which I still use on one computer) or XP, I see no "compelling reason" to spend the 4 digit sum that would be necessary to install 7 on the eight computers on my home network.

Eventually, XP will be "left in the dust" by developers and will become as obsolete as 2000 has become today, but that will not occur for a few years yet. Until then, I will remain with XP as my primary OS and Windows 2000 will remain on my "family photo" graphics computer with a flatbed scanner (with no current driver) and legacy software that will not work well even on XP.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

i'm having such a good experience with W7 i don't know if i'll ever use my XP part. again it's just that my OCD won't let me format it without some public opinion.So my question is this: who has or intends to wipe out their former installs be they vista, XP, i'm even hearing of some ubuntu converts.I'm sure most people will obtain seven as soon as it hits the shelves i'm just curious who of us has already made the full commitment and tossed the dual boot.

[OT] Do you really have OCD? What you said made total sense to me, and the way you wrote mirrors mine. [/OT]

Anyway, I've been running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit (RTM build 7600.16385) exclusively, after running Vista Ultimate x64 for 2 1/2 years. My Thinkpad supports Intel VT (Virtulization Technology) along with VT-d, and I have Microsoft Virtual PC installed. Then I installed Windows XP Mode, and it's cool really if you have any legacy apps or games, etc. You will need around 4GB of RAM to efficiently run this, but it's a free download. ;) You can go to work in XP within Windows 7, as well as keep XP open, and still run Windows 7. You can use VMWare, too, but for XP, it's not necessary, and Virtual PC as well as Windows XP Mode are free downloads at Microsoft dot com. :D

Last edited:
I have Win 7 installed in a multiboot setup with XP-SP3 Pro as well as 4 Linux distros. I 'm using a 320 GB HDD so space is not an issue. I will be keeping XP if only for the reason that I paid $300.00 for it.
I rarely boot XP except to update but I will keep it around at least for the near future.
My primary OS is Win 7 RC with Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit as my second choice.

BTW, I plan on buying the OEM version of Win 7 Home Premium, I can't pass up a $100.00 saving.
Since I plan on only using it on this one and only machine it makes sense to me to go OEM.

If I ever buy another computer it will come with Win 7 preinstaled so the OEM limitation of not being able to use on another machine is irrelevant.

Back