Windows 7 Trackball mouse for laptop

birdy176

Two years ago I found a USB mouse with a ball the size of a play marble from an outfit in Florida. It worked out of the box on an HP laptop. It was advertised as P&P but I cannot get it to function on a Toshiba 15.6", OS Win7. There was no driver CD or anything printed other than how to turn it on via buttons on the rodent itself and the USB dongle and the installation of batteries.

The model number on the bottom is GM-500/510 plus an FCC compliance stamp but no company logo or name. I am using a Kensington Trackball, wired, that works great on an iMac and the laptop, as well as a Gateway 5 years old, probably thanks to Plug 'n Play. The device driver recognizes it as a "generic" device.

Any suggestions as to how to get this mouse to work since it is a little marvel and gave great service would be appreciated

Trackball mouse

Thank you, Kemical,

Tried all three ports on the Toshiba laptop, even on the iMac. I also put new batteries in it.

You may have already tried this setting but checkout the screenshot:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks, have tried the settings but even my Mac Mighty Mouse won't work except spottily. A still looking for a small USB track ball rodent.

Yes, Kemi. Am also looking at some of the links you provided. Would you know a trick to increase the choices of screen resolution? Win7 seems to have only one that's recommended while the other makes scrolling necessary.

Hmm.... Have you checked your Graphics control panel? I took a screenshot of the difference between the default settings and the graphics control panel.. Obviously you might be running a different set-up but it's a good place to start..

Thanks, my graphics card doesn't support 1280x960 which I had wanted to try. The next one down = 1280x720 makes everything too large. so I have to live with it.

Thanks for the tip. The Lynx R 15 and SCT Micro Trac 600 were nowhere to be found.

Im have been using the Kensington Orbit Optical model for several years and reviews are all over the place. Had I seen them 4 years ago, it would not have been my choice. Fortunately, I was oblivious to the negatives and am very happy with it. Yes, the ball is not fixed - as the Logitech - and yes, it fell out in the most embarrassing place, our public library, the only place - barring Central Africa - where DSL has either been outlawed or Verizon thinks that hicks in the boonies are sooo sixteenth century... The clank, even on the carpeted floor, had the librarian almost run for the door before she typed in the library's protected wi-fi access address on my laptop whose touchpad I banished as useless.

Since you're so well up on all things electronic, could you tell me if the Logitech Marble Mouse T-CM14 could be used with a Mac AND PC Windows 7 (as the Kensington - flawless on both) since it's now decommissioned off my old Gateway. It even came with a PS2/USB converter and I hate to junk it. The Logitech driver page doesn't show it but that could be because of its age. It would be used on either iMac or laptop PC USB ports. I hate the Apple rodent because of its need for a large cage floor.

BTW: The Kensington can be made into a scroll mouse, albeit by sacrificing one of the buttons. Thus I have no "context" feature but that hasn't been a problem. I guess every trackball two-button mouse would present such a problem - yes?

I found this page for a logitech marble mouse: Link Removed - Invalid URL I'm sure if it'll work for vista it will work for 7...

Last edited:
Thanks again. I notice that the Log. Marble mouse would be my choice but not from eBay. Have been at war with them since I ordered an attachment for my computer for movie to tape conversion which they have been holding up due to an error committed by PayPal. Thus the seller is unable to ship and I am unable to get in touch with them for the web bot doesn't allow it. Cannot cancel because the seller gets penalized. But mice are available at Amazon, a more reliable dealer/distributor.

Recycling Logitech Marble mouse from 2005

Thanks, Kemi, have reserved a spot at the library's wi-fi desk to search Logitech's driver files for my old Marble Mouse model T-CM14. It's the same shape and looks as the one on the market now.

Thanks, Kemi, have reserved a spot at the library's wi-fi desk to search Logitech's driver files for my old Marble Mouse model T-CM14. It's the same shape and looks as the one on the market now.

Just for some background, I am arthritic and have considerable difficulty manuvering and clicking, especially double clicking, a mouse. I have been using trackballs for about 20 years to make "mousing" easier. I have seen the availability of a selection of trackballs dwindle to only a very few choices in recent years. I am using - on different applications - the ancient TrackMan Stationary Mouse (T-CD2-6F), the TrackMan Marble+ (T-CL13), and TrackMan Wheel (T-BB18).

I am using the current Logitech setpoint software with all three of these trackballs. I have to plug a model that is in Logiteck's list (TrackMan Wheel) and install the driver for that trackball then unplug it and plug the obsolete trackball (Trackman Stationary Mouse) in and it works with some disabled functions due to lack of scroll wheel. One of you may be able to make a trick like this work for your applications. Also, be aware that Logitech hardware can be purchased directly from Logitech.

Much thanks for this post John as hopefully it will help others in a similar position..

Back