Windows 7 Transfer of a video file over a wired network

podgeandrodge

I posted the below on a board in Ireland and it's not coming up with a solution
- Would be interested in hearing any opinions you guys have on this
situtation:

I have a wired network - ethernet cable from pc upstairs down
to modem at television. Cable from modem to WD TV live. So all networked and wd
tv is showing up correctly as a network drive.

Question:

If I transfer
a 350mb video file from my pc to the hard drive attached to the WD TV live, over
the wired network, it takes just over one minute i.e. just over 5 megabytes a
second transfer. Not great but adequate.

If however I connect my Nokia N8
to the same pc and copy the file from the N8 rather than the PC (even
though the N8 is connected to the pc!) the file goes to the WD TV in 28 seconds
- over 12 megs a second.

How can a file get transferred quicker over the
network from a phone connected to the pc than from the pc itself
to the same destination?

Hope I've explained it clearly - it's got me
baffled!

ps - the phone is displayed under "portable devices" rather
than "hard disk drives" and the properties suggest it is using a protocol called
MTP - media transfer protocol. I've also added another external usb drive to
test the transfer and received the same results as the built in hard drive. So
it does appear to be something to do with "hard drives" versus "portable
devices" as recognised and dealt with by Windows.

That is a pretty slow speed, any info on the Network Adapter in your PC?

Can you bypass the modem and connect directly to the WD TV?

Any settings in the modem that might effect the transfer?

Is the WD TV a data unit or just video. What are the formats of the video files you are transferring?

If you load the video from the phone to the PC and then transfer it from the pc, is it also slow?

That is a pretty slow speed, any info on the Network Adapter in your PC?

Can you bypass the modem and connect directly to the WD TV?

Any settings in the modem that might effect the transfer?

Is the WD TV a data unit or just video. What are the formats of the video files you are transferring?

If you load the video from the phone to the PC and then transfer it from the pc, is it also slow?

Don't think it is the modem. The WD TV is simply a player with a hard drive attached. Ordinary avi files - this is not the issue though - the issue is that if I transfer the file from the pc it is slow, but from the phone attached to the pc it is quick.

thanks.

Not completely sure about situation and probably can't help much, but are you streaming the files to the WD unit?

I normally record Over the Air shows in High Def. on my Home Theater PC. When I stream them to my PC with Windows Media Player, they only stream at 2 MBps. If I stream them using Windows Media Player, they stream at 15-20 MBps. Window Media Player probably has the rights and setup to allow streaming certain types of content at higher resolutions. Not sure if something like this is involved in your situation, but it is a possibility.

Not completely sure about situation and probably can't help much, but are you streaming the files to the WD unit?

I normally record Over the Air shows in High Def. on my Home Theater PC. When I stream them to my PC with Windows Media Player, they only stream at 2 MBps. If I stream them using Windows Media Player, they stream at 15-20 MBps. Window Media Player probably has the rights and setup to allow streaming certain types of content at higher resolutions. Not sure if something like this is involved in your situation, but it is a possibility.

Hi Saltgrass. No, I'm not streaming anything. This is simply file transfer over the network - from hard drives on the pc it is slow, and from "portable devices" on the pc it is fast. Thanks.

Back