Windows 7 Trend Micro hangup

bobz

My upgrade disk is asking me to uninstall Trend Micro Internet Security 2007. I have done that and rebooted but I still get hungup at the same point. I have no virus protection software on my PC. How can I get past this and complete the installation? Thanks

You might check the Trend Micro site to see if they have a manual uninstall procedure. Many times something is left over from some type of install.

Check MSconfig.exe and see if anything related to that is starting up.

Staltgrass is right on it. If you go to msconfig you will see the offensive little critter in the startup tab. just disable it then go to your Programs directory and delete all the Trend Micro directories. I even tried their un-install utility on their site and it failed to get this out of my system. Good luck

msdnguy

I have had the same problem trying to upgrade from Vista Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I have been on the phone for hours with Microsoft and Trend Micro. I even let the Microsoft tech take control of my computer. There was nothing on my computer related to Trend Micro. I've given up until such time as I want to take the time to do a clean install. The whole purpose of my doing an upgrade was to not have to reinstall all my programs and data again. I've had this system for less than a year and I did not want to go through that aggravation. So, Microsoft, you have a problem. That MAC ad was was right. New OS, new problems. If the techs get back to me with a solution, I will post it here.

If you do not have Trend Micro on your system, any chance it might be on your router or some other drive/device on your system?

Nope! Plus, the two external drives were turned off and unplugged. It's a bug in their installation. There was nothing anywhere, even in the registry b/c we manually deleted all mention of Trend Micro. Trust me, this is a big problem for Microsoft as I'm sure there are a lot of us who use Trend Micro. Plus, this is a 64-bit computer and Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 was not even on this system. I started out with version 2009 to accommodate 64-bit. The service tech at Trend Micro is researching this too, but I feel it is on Microsoft's end. In the meantime, I reinstalled Trend Micro 2010 to protect my system and will not do anything further until they fix the problem. Except maybe burn the $200 worthless CD. Angry? You might say that.

The last think I might suggest is to run the install without being connected to the net and do not select "check for updates". Probably won't make any difference, but can't hurt.

I am a little confused, though, you say you never had Trend Micro on your system and then you say you had the 2009 version. Did you have any Trend Micro software installed on your system prior to the install?

The tech tried everything. This was a new system in January. I never put Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 on it. I did install Trend Micro Internet Security 2009, which I recently upgraded to version 2010. The message from the install disk was to uninstall TMIS 2008. So, I/we uninstalled ALL of Trend Micro. Even used the Trend Micro uninstall tools and a special tool I got from Trend Micro. Then we went into the registry and manually deleted all mention of Trend Micro. Went into msconfig and made sure Trend Micro wasn't there. Went into the Services, searched everywhere on the disk. Absolutely NO Trend Micro files. Not one!

This is a problem for the big guys, I think. Somebody goofed! Why am I not surprised?

mjschaer,

On your Vista PC go to start--Run and type msinfo32
From the file menu choose export to save the info to a file.
Please send it to me at [email protected] need to gather some data regarding this issue to our support teams.

msdnguy

I just did an inplace upgrade with Trend Micro 2010 installed. Never got a warning of any type and the upgrade seems to have worked. Anyone reading this, my upgrade was from a newly installed, very clean prior OS so there weren't many things for the install to have problems with.

I did notice it puts items on the IE toolbar, and was wondering if you had checked IE for any add-ons or accelerators put there by Trend Micro.

Hi again. Just got off the phone with Microsoft after 2 hours. The tech had control of the system and he could find nothing related to Trend Micro. Then, the CD stopped reading my disks and the installation stopped. The tech tried to copy the CD to my HD and run the set up from there, but once again it could not read my HD. So, Microsoft is sending me a new disk. :(

The tech did tell me he had other similar problems related to Trend Micro, but he could not find the offending file on my system.

So, will wait for the new CD and will try again. But, I really have no hope of ever getting it installed. This was all supposed to be simple.

Not happy!

When you were looking for Trend Micro files, I assume you were looking for files starting with TM. Did you also search for any like vsapint.sys or vsapint.inf?

Went ahead and deleted those files and tried setup again. Oh, and I got the CD to work. The service tech had turned off Virtual Disk. However, still get the error message about Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. So, off to search for anything starting with TM.

I just checked the Task Manager for Processes and found 8 entries for Trend Micro. To see them all, you have to click show processes from all users on the bottom.

I do not know about deleting those files, there may be some like them used for other purposes, hard to say.

These are the Trend Micro Processes I can find when showing processes for all users.

UfSeAgnt.exe
TSCFPlatformCOMSvr.exe
TmProxy.exe
TmPfw.exe
TMBMSRV.exe
ProToolbarUpdate.exe
ProToolbarComm.exe
SfCtlComm.exe

This is of course in 2010 version of Internet Security Pro. May not be the same for other versions. There may be one more poping around but I can't seem to catch it.

That's a help. I don't have anything in here at the moment. Makes me a little nervous! I'll check for those files in a bit. Thanks so much for all your help.

Checked. None of those are running. I'm going to go ahead and reinstall TMIS2010 and forget about this for a few days. Just really frustrated. If you come up with any solutions, I'd love to hear. Incidentally, the MS Tech I talked to said he's helped a few people with this problem. So, at least I'm not alone!

Back