Windows 7 Tried everything, but Explorer Drag and Drop STILL doesn't work!

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
Problem: Drag and Drop doesn't work in WIndows 7 Explorer. Whenever I try to drag an icon, the circle with a line through it always shows.

I've read scores and scores of posts describing how to fix this issue, and I've found the following set of things to try. But I've tried every one of them, but nothing helps.

I've tried the following:
  1. I'd already completely disabled UAC (registry confirms this) - makes no difference
  2. Hold left-click & press escape - doesn't work
  3. Hold right-click & press escape - doesn't work
  4. Ctrl-Alt-Del & press escape - doesn't work
  5. First disable "Enable context menus and dragging and dropping", then reboot, then re-enable it, then reboot - doesn't work
  6. Uninstalled mouse and keyboard drivers, then reboot - doesn't work!
What do I do now? Does anyone have a registry key path to check specifically for Explorer drag & drop (rather than UAC)?

ETA: Also, Avira, SpyBot, & MBAM found NO malware. And SFC found NO integrity or other problems.

PLEASE HELP! I can't work this way!

Last edited:
I know it sounds goofy, but give this a try:

1) Find an affected file.

2) Click and HOLD the icon with the Left mouse button.

3) Press Esc while holding the Left mouse button.

Sometimes a pending drag & drop operation gets stuck.

I know it sounds goofy, but give this a try:

1) Find an affected file.

2) Click and HOLD the icon with the Left mouse button.

3) Press Esc while holding the Left mouse button.

Sometimes a pending drag & drop operation gets stuck.

Thanks for your reply, Josephur!

Unfortunately, I've already tried that (see point 2 in my OP), without success.

Microsoft TechNet didn't have any other suggestions that worked either. So since nothing has worked, I'm forced to try a repair install...

Why don't you try a simple system restore first before repair?

Thanks, badrobot, but the previous two restore points didn't fix the problem, either.

The repair install, somewhat onerous as it was, solved the problem.

Thanks.

But you got it to work with repair install? Remarkable! I need to check my view - I've very easily recommended complete reinstall. Thanks for your feedback, hope everything works.

That's great. I just recommended system restore because it's the simplest way to fix common issues. But good thing you had it sorted out.

@Pauli, did you check out that batch conversion tool?

Cheers!

But you got it to work with repair install? Remarkable! I need to check my view - I've very easily recommended complete reinstall. Thanks for your feedback, hope everything works.

Hey, Pauli, thanks for your comments. Yes, the repair install fixed it completely! It's still an unpleasant chore, but a complete re-install would have been a nightmare, because I'd have to also re-install about 60 apps and utilities!

Take care.

That's great. I just recommended system restore because it's the simplest way to fix common issues. But good thing you had it sorted out.

Cheers!

Thanks again, badrobot! You were the only person who tried to help out, and I appreciate it.

Hey, Pauli, thanks for your comments. Yes, the repair install fixed it completely! It's still an unpleasant chore, but a complete re-install would have been a nightmare, because I'd have to also re-install about 60 apps and utilities!

Take care.
To avoid reinstalling your apps in the future, make an image backup. You can use that image to restore your pc when problems arise.

To avoid reinstalling your apps in the future, make an image backup. You can use that image to restore your pc when problems arise.

I do that already, badrobot, sir, usually on a daily basis. I do possess a bit of sense, thanks.

But since this is a brand new home-built computer, I had been making a great many changes and installs, so the most recent backup image I had did not contain all the many, many changes I had made prior to losing Drag & Drop. So my comment to Pauli referred to the fact that if I was forced to re-install Windows from scratch, I'd have lost all those changes and installs. And it would have been very nearly as bad if I had restored that outdated image backup. No, the best solution was the Repair Install.

Back