Windows 7 Trivial question as i'm scared of partitioning D: drive.

ztplru

Extraordinary Member
I'm scared of partitioning D: drive to install Linux.
My most important files are backed up in the cloud but have loads of stuff i don't want to loose.

The process went fine for my C: drive which already had windows 7 in it.

Should i expect a similar scenario for my D: drive?

Yes, most Linux installers detect and respect a Windows install. Your boot loader will get replaced with Grub which is normal and you will be able to select Windows or Linux from the boot menu.

Yes, most Linux installers detect and respect a Windows install. Your boot loader will get replaced with Grub which is normal and you will be able to select Windows or Linux from the boot menu.

In this case D: is a seperate HD with files only; no OS!

Will install Linux MX17. Will see what boot loader it will be...

Ok in that case go into Disk Management and shrink the NTFS (windows partition) down You shouldn't need a ton of space 20-50GB is fine. Leave the space unallocated. In the Mint installer select the unused space. Sata drives in Linux are represented as /dev/sdL where L is a letter a,b,c

Ok in that case go into Disk Management and shrink the NTFS (windows partition) down You shouldn't need a ton of space 20-50GB is fine. Leave the space unallocated. In the Mint installer select the unused space. Sata drives in Linux are represented as /dev/sdL where L is a letter a,b,c

Giving MX Linux 5GB. It's doube the minimum requirements!
It'l be a rescue and fix OS only; for windows 7.

For serious stuff i use CentOS! :shades:

WinRM is more than capable to repair Windows, so having a Linux OS to do it isn't necessary. Your other option would be to create a live Linux USB then you don't run the risk of screwing up your data drive.

WinRM is more than capable to repair Windows, so having a Linux OS to do it isn't necessary. Your other option would be to create a live Linux USB then you don't run the risk of screwing up your data drive.

I thought about this! :)

1) I'm selling the tablet i use to access internet and create live usb's, when i have serious BSOD's.
2) Don't want a USB dedicated for a live OS! Need it for other things!
3) As i only want to have my desktop and no dedicated USB, the best option is a partition on my D: drive with a rescue Linux OS.

Is my 3rd option right?

Last edited:
Back