Windows 7 Trouble with games

stup62

Hi, Just recently installed windows 7. Love the operating system.
Have one small problem, on several games I play, I get a black bar on the sides.
I have a dell 17" laptop, never had this problem with vista.
My video card is Mobile intel 45 chipset family.
Anyone know how to eliminate these bars?
They are annoying.
Thanks, Keith

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

You may need to locate the executable file, right-click on it, choose the Compatibility tab and change it to run in Vista. Look over the pother options as well.

Thanks, tried what you suggested, but to avail.
tried the other options as well, nothing worked.

Was able to get "The Sims 3" game to work with the correct resolution (finally), but am still not able to get Hoyle card games to work correctly.
Have tried switching resolutions, changing compatibilty modes, nothing. Just have these 2 black bars on the side, also looks like the graphics are "squeezed".

I also have some troubles with games. To be exact, with Red Alert 3, Need for speed Shift and Gta IV.

With Red Alert 3 and need fo speed shift I cant start the games, Got a .exe error first but after changing the DEP settings they did it, but after a few days, they just stopped loading. If I load one of those games, I shortly can see the .exe in the Task manager and then they just dissapear. oh and I could only start the games Thru the EA Download Manager, while I have the disk versions.

And with GTA IV I get a ws10 error, that should be a problem with Games For Windows Live according to other forums. But that works fine with me, so I don't know the problem anymore.

For all these games I already did try the compatibility settings and resolution, didn't work.

Can somebody please help.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (build 7600).
Core2Duo E7400 2,8 Ghz
8gb kingston DDR2-Ram
Asus Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
Asus P5QL-E motherboard

Last edited:
Was able to get "The Sims 3" game to work with the correct resolution (finally), but am still not able to get Hoyle card games to work correctly.
Have tried switching resolutions, changing compatibilty modes, nothing. Just have these 2 black bars on the side, also looks like the graphics are "squeezed".

did you tried updating Directx, and your drivers, could be the problem.

I already have the lates drivers for my pc...I always make sure that the first thing I do on a fresh install is update every driver.

Update: Changed the settings for .net framework, the settings for HTTP activation weren't on. Maybe that was the problem, I keep my fingers crossed...The programs exept GTA IV work now

Last edited:
does this download overwrite directx 11 or do I have to uninstall directx 11 manually?

still would be weird if this is needed to get it working, according to the microsoft compatibility center all these games of mine should work on windows 7 64 bit without all this trouble:S

No it doesn't overwrite it, buts it adds some other DirectX files that are not part of the DirectX 11.

I thought the same thing

I thought there would be problems and it would downgrade DirectX 11 to DirectX 9.

A very experienced moderator here informed me that it was OK to install the DirectX 9 and it would not harm the computer.

One thing I'm not totally sure about is if the game gave some kind of notification that DirectX was not working properly.

I would create a restore point, then install 9.0, try out the games. If that doesn't solve the problem, go back to the restore point.

The weird thing is, after changing the .net framework settings, the games worked, but only through the EA Download manager, so I don't think it's a directx problem, I also have the direct x sdk so I have a tottaly updated direct x . It's something else, but I won't know if the games still work after reboot until tommorow, because I have shut down the pc because I'm going to sleep soon.

But I really find it weird that i have this problem, while I almost nowhere can find a similar problem, and I don't have troubles with other programs, didn't try other games yet. It's some kind of .exe problem I'm sure of, because neither shortcuts to .exe files nor the .exe files themeself can start the game, only the EADM can open the games, and I can only hope that that will stay now after the last adjustments.

Even more strange is the fact that the .exe file of GTA IV does work, only i get a WS10 error.

Just started my pc and guess what. The games again don't start up....I really don't know what to do anymore.

Ive reinstalled windows 7 and installed all thing with up to date drivers. I'm going to reinstall the games later and hope that they wotk now, maybe something wasn't installed right the first time, so I hope that everything works now.

thanks for the help so far.

Back