Windows 7 Trouble with MS Office 2007 Student

dickward

I am currently running Win 7 Enterprise Build 7600 90 day trial. I had previously ran the earlier candidate and made the commitment to purchase it when released 10/22/09.

I have installed the 64 bit version on a very capable desktop and it is wickedly fast.
I do have a couple of concerns; a couple of my softwares run a little strange, even if I install and run the compatibility tool.
One of the main ones is MS Office 2007 Student, it cannot do the old cut, paste, enter routine to change an Url into a link. It also cannot always open saved documents that were written in MS Office, I have had to install Open Office to get to see every document I had saved on my ext HD.
Is this a Win 7 deal or is it the 64 bit vs 32 bit thing? Having never had a 64 bit machine until now, I was not sure what to expect. With only two weeks until release date, I am not sure what version I need to purchase.
I don't want to give back anything that I now have, but the thought of going into the old "no drivers for this software" type of thing sounds too much like the world of Vista.
Thank You for any ideas

I am currently running Win 7 Enterprise Build 7600 90 day trial. I had previously ran the earlier candidate and made the commitment to purchase it when released 10/22/09.

I have installed the 64 bit version on a very capable desktop and it is wickedly fast.
I do have a couple of concerns; a couple of my softwares run a little strange, even if I install and run the compatibility tool.
One of the main ones is MS Office 2007 Student, it cannot do the old cut, paste, enter routine to change an Url into a link. It also cannot always open saved documents that were written in MS Office, I have had to install Open Office to get to see every document I had saved on my ext HD.
Is this a Win 7 deal or is it the 64 bit vs 32 bit thing? Having never had a 64 bit machine until now, I was not sure what to expect. With only two weeks until release date, I am not sure what version I need to purchase.
I don't want to give back anything that I now have, but the thought of going into the old "no drivers for this software" type of thing sounds too much like the world of Vista.
Thank You for any ideas
Might be an Enterprise thingie.... I'm running Win7 X64 Pro and I'm having no Office 2007 problems whatsoever.

I would uninstall Office and reinstall,, or run the Detect and Repair first

Reboot system to make sure no office products are running in the background

Open Word
Click Help and Detect and Repair
Only check the top box
Start the repair and close word right after starting

See if that helps.

On a related note...... becareful about using OpenOffice and MS Office on the same files.....
OpenOffice has a tendency to break some documents when saved in OpenOffice and opening in MS Office. Mainly those that use special formatting or elaborate tables and macros, etc.

I downloaded two new copies of Win 7 Enterprise yesterday.

I installed the 32 bit one on my laptop, it told me that the processor would not handle the 64 bit. With the 32 bit the laptop is working flawlessly.

On my other machine where I was having the problems with MS Office, I have uninstalled the Office. I will reinstall and see what happens. If it does not do the job, I will reinstall the Win 7 64 bit from the new copy I just downloaded.

Good tips ..... Thanks a lot

I found it! I have several free anti-virus tools that I keep in a folder called my WMD.

Things like Spy-Bot, Ad-aware that type of thing.

On this new install I loaded the new MS Security Essentials tool and I am now trusting my fate to it alone. I back up my entire systems on an external HD so if it gets sick, I just dump it and reload from the back up.

It allows MS Office too run properly now.

I am my own worst enemy in this type of thing, and I do shoot myself in the foot on many ocasions.

Thanks for your help guys.

Well for the record... Spybot is still tops for cleaning up a malware infection..... AD-Aware has gotten bloated and too commercialized and pretty. IT's just not really all that useful anymore. Find a ton of junk that can be irrelevent to what really needs to be cleaned, hence the bloat, and again,, too pretty and slow. I haven't tested it in a while, but I have a feeling it hasn't changed.

However, Malwarebytes is the new AD-Aware replacement in my opinion.

Stay away from AVG (it's garbage), MSE is the better alternative to almost anything out there, unless you pay for it.
I am no longer advising NOD32 as it cripples the system when the subscription lapses. Big no-no in my book.
KAV is good, but can slow the system down.

Stay away from anything concidered Internet Security Suites. They are all garbage in the long run,, i don't care what they promise. Eventually, one day, you will have a problem,, and most likely the cause will be whatever Internet Security Suite you have installed.

Back