Windows 7 Trying to delete a folder

jPaulB

Extraordinary Member
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to delete a folder that contains two files that I do not recognise.

The two files are:

Name Date Modified Type Size

'.substr($m,0,2) file 0KB
UEST['offset'] file 0KB

When I try to delete either of these files, I'll get a "File not found" error

Same error if I try and delete the folder itself.

Anyone have an idea how to get rid of this?

Thanks,
Paul

These might be some left over files from some software install, that was then uninstalled. They could be just junk files or something pertaining to a registry string entry. Try running Ccleaner, both the cleaner and the registry cleaner tools of the software.

Thanks Bassfisher6522,

I installed and ran ccleaner, but it didn't seem to do anything related to that silly folder icon I have on the desktop.

You're probably right though. It is probably a remnant of an install and then uninstall activity.

After running ccleaner, I renamed the folder something unique and ran a find in the registry editor. Didn't find any reference to that name in the search.

In any event, the folder icon image is still on the desktop and still reports the two phantom files. Can't seem to get rid of it.

Thanks again,
Paul

Thanks Bassfisher6522,

I installed and ran ccleaner, but it didn't seem to do anything related to that silly folder icon I have on the desktop.

You're probably right though. It is probably a remnant of an install and then uninstall activity.

After running ccleaner, I renamed the folder something unique and ran a find in the registry editor. Didn't find any reference to that name in the search.

In any event, the folder icon image is still on the desktop and still reports the two phantom files. Can't seem to get rid of it.

Thanks again,
Paul

@ jPaulB,
Would drag and drop the desktop icon into Recycle Bin work ?

For future reference :
Always delete the desktop shortcut first before deleting the actual file from the computer.

Hi davidhk129,

I didn't know I could do that. Nice easy way to delete things, but it didn't work.

The "delete"/"move" routine keeps telling me: Could not find the item. It is not located in C:\Users\MyName\Desktop".

Pretty weird,

But thanks, and I like the tip.
Paul

Purely suggestions only.......

1. How long ago was that ?
Is it possible to do a system restore, roll back to a date when this did not happen?

2. If they are folders you created .......
Do you have Take Ownership of a file and folder enabled in your context menu?
If yes, right click at the desktop shortcut > select Take Ownership > then try to delete it.
If no, use this tutorial to install it :
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html
Tutorial is applicable to both Vista and Win 7.

Last edited:
Thanks, Titanic!!!

That UnLocker thing worked.
Real happy not to have trash kicking around on the desktop

Paul

Sometimes big things are achieved through seemingly small effort. Like Winston Churchill stated, I am easily satisfied with the very best.

Hooray!

Back