Windows 7 Trying to transfer XP files to Windows 7

Jayorama

I have files backed up on a WD My Book external hard drive from my XP computer. When I plug in the USB in my new HP Touchsmart, it opens the jump drive, but says the folder is empty.
I also have files on my PNY jump drive from the XP and another Vista computer. It opens the jump drive and sees the Vista files but not the XP files. The Vista computer sees all files on the WD My Book and the PNY jump drive. Any suggestion to get Windows 7 to see the files. My old computer died, so I can't use Windows Easy Transfer.

Unless they are something unusual it should not make any difference whether they were created under xp or windows 7. What files types are they?

I just tried them in another XP machine and they open. I tried them in a laptop with windows 7 and they don't show up. Same result as the new all in one.

I used the drag and drop method to copy the files. Under "My computer" on the windows 7 machine. The "My Book" external hard drive shows up and shows 426 GB free of 930GB. Same with the PNY jump drive.

That's pretty strange. Did you reformat the drive before using it on XP? Do you have room on your new PC to copy the stuff? Booting from a Linux live CD might let you access the external and copy the files to PC. Try a few and make sure there isn't a corruption issue. I'll contact somebody at the WD forum and see if I can find anything out. One thing to try go into folder settings and check show hidden files.
Joe

Last edited:
I didn't reformat. Just pluged it in as received from the factory. The HP is brand new and has 1 TB of storage, so there is plenty of room. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks!

One more question. Now that I have transfered the files and photos to the new computer, they show up half bright, I guess as hidden files do. This makes it annoying and difficult to see when looking at photo thumbnails. Do you know if there is a way I can get them to show up normally?

Rt Clk the 'hidden' (slightly faded) folders & uncheck the Hidden check box. They'll appear 'normal' henceforth.

Drew

Back