Windows 7 Turn off Preview "feature"

reghakr

Essential Member
As many of you know, I'm not a fan of the preview feature.. To me it's an additional step to take to locate a program or find what directory you're in.

Before this preview feature was introduced with Vista, I could have 12 windows open and simply look on the taskbar and tell immediately where I was, rather than fumbling around going left to right trying to locate the windows that you want to bring up.

NOTE: I am not saying everyone should take this route, it's simply an option.

To turn off the preview feature, go to Start > Run, and type services.msc. locate the Themes service and choose stop. Immediately you windows will revert to the old style (Sorry, there goes your Aero effects). Now right-click on the Themes service and choose Disable.

Now go to Control Panel > Performance Information & Tools, click the Adjust Visual effects link on the left side and choose Adjust for best performance

After performing these two changes, I restarted Windows7 and I noticed an even faster boot up time, programs loaded faster, with less of that animated circling cursor.

Again, this is just an option.

If you want to disable the preview feature you can simply do the following.

Right click on the start button - Properties - Taskbar - Taskbar buttons - Select never combine.

This will open all your windows in separate tabs instead of combining them. Shorter, faster, works no restart needed.

Hi CodeOfsilence,

I've already done that, but it doesn't have the same effect as my post.

This turns much of the interface to look like Windows 200 Pro and previous releases.

Customizations..................

Hey Windows 7 Users I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Downloaded from MSDN...
Though this windows is drastically faster than Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit but it lacks Many feature like most useful Quick Launch On Rt lower taskbar, And the Drivers designed for Windows 7 are versatile drivers that means you have to download and install your MB,Display,ect Drivers from manufacturers site; as my 64 bit vista ultimate drivers are not installing on this 64 bit W7U so i downloaded from corresponding manufacturers site......

Now here lies the actual fun .......
You can do customizations according to your convinience even no need to tweeks.......
Have you heard of group policies?????????????
just type "gpedit.msc" (with out quotes) in run and press enter.
in group policies computer/user configuration you can do any thing thas why i call group policies "The Real Hidden Treasure Of Windows"

"SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH"

Last edited:
I believe anyone that's used the Ultimate Version of Vista knows about Group policy.

It's not really designed for customizing, it's designed to restrict access or block features typically by administrators locking down a users account.

If you want a real hidden treasure, Go to Start > Run and type optionalfeatures.

As many of you know, I'm not a fan of the preview feature.. To me it's an additional step to take to locate a program or find what directory you're in.

Haha I agree, it is an additional step when selecting a program

Back
Top Bottom