Turning Off Shadow Copies

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I was about run a defrag on C: with O&O, but since there are a lot of locked blocks, I decided to temporarily turn off hibernation and shadow copies, but I've run into a problem with the latter. Even after turning it off and deleting shadow copies in the Device Manager, O&O still reports that shadow copies are enabled, and unlike when I've done this before, it doesn't appear that the locked blocks have been reduced any. I even disabled the shadow copy service, but that made no difference either. Any idea of how to rectify this?

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Try running a Command Prompt as Administrator and issue the following command:

Code:
vssadmin Delete Shadows /all

seekermeister

Honorable Member
Thanks, but it didn't work. O&O still reports it active and the locked files are the same. Here is a shot of the CMD I ran:

vss.png

Not sure, but it may be because I had already deleted the copies in the Device Manager.

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I just checked in the Device Manager again, and the shadow copies are still there.

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I decided to run the comand again, and this time it asked to verify 16 deletions, instead of 18 as before, and it succeeded. O&O still reports VSS as being enabled, but the locked blocks have disappeared, which was my real objective. Thanks for the help.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.