Windows 10 Help, turning off Asus Touch pad?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

My wife has an Asus SonicMaster 17" laptop.
She uses a wireless mouse with it, not the touch pad.

Since she updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10 there is no way to turn off the touch pad.
This is driving her crazy because she keeps touching it when she is typing.

I've tried but there is no Disable option either in Device Manager or Control Panel.

I've looked online but the option that I found to go to Task Manager and turn off ETD Control Center on the Startup Tab won't work because there isn't any ETD Control Center option.

Removing the touch pad in Device Manager just causes it to reinstall as soon as the computer reboots.

Anyone have any ideas?
I've run out!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Very often in laptops, the TouchPad can be disabled in the BIOS! I know you can figure out how to access that on an ASUS laptop. Here's a link to access the BIOS: Entering the bios of an asus laptop - CPUs - Tom's Hardware
<F2> is the usual key, but if that doesn't work it probably has UEFI BIOS and you have to get into the Troubleshooting Menu, Advanced Options to access the BIOS. Of course, that varies by Model, so you may want to download the Owners Manual from the ASUS site to check. As the instructions in the link tell you, you'll need a restart or two to do this, as well as W8x media (USB or DVD) available in case their method doesn't work.

Once into the BIOS you can look around for the TouchPad disable feature.:up:

Hope that works for you!:D
Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi

I didn't think of looking in the Bios, and I didn't see anyone suggest that, but I'll look tomorrow and let you know it that works.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

Hi

I'm still working on it, but so far none of the methods that I've tried has gotten my into the BIOS.
I'll try doing it through the Troubleshooting menu.

This is very easy to do on my computer, it even prompts you when you start it, I don't know why they had to make it so hard.

Mike

What you need to do is press and hold the F2 button and then click the power button. Do not release the F2 button until the BIOS screen display shows up. If this doesn't work then you need to go to Windows 10 settings, click on update & security, click on Recovery, go to Advanced start-up and click on the restart button, select Troubleshoot, choose advanced options and select UEFI firmware settings.

Sent from my MLA-TL10 using Tapatalk

Or goto the the shutdown menu, hold shift and click restart. It'll take you to the recovery options. Thats the way I have to do it if fastboot is enabled

Hi

I've tried most of these options, f2 etc. I've even watched the videos.

There is no disable option in Device Manager, or Control Panel.

I will try the shift + shutdown thing tomorrow.

Mike

I think you'll find if you right click on any device in device manager there is a disable option.

Not the touch pad, there is one for the mouse though, and everything else I checked.

The thing is that the touch pad was disabled in Windows 8, this problem started when she updated to 10.

That's when the disable option disappeared.

I found this, I'll check it out tomorrow...

When I upgraded my OS to Windows 10 on my Asus laptop, I lost the ability to turn off my touchpad using fn+f9. I looked online for ways to help solve this issue with no success. Hopefully this will help anyone who is having the same problem.

Finally solved this. Nothing else worked for me but the directions i've listed below.

-Go to Settings

-Control panel

-Uninstall/Change program

-ASUS Smart Gesture

-Repair.

-Restart Computer

THEN

-Start (bottom left)

-Control Panel (type it in the search box)

-ASUS Smart Gesture

-Mouse Detection

-Disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in.

If you don't have ASUS Smart Gesture you can google it and download it.

Last edited:
I registered here just to say that the solution posted just above this worked perfectly on my ASUS. Thanks Mike!

(Windows 10 help how do I disable touch pad touchpad when mouse plugged in ASUS Smart Gesture solved)

Back