Windows 7 Two features I would like to see added.

andybbtt11

After messing with the beta, I have found 2 features that would make the workflow faster and eliminate a small...tiny....annoyance.

1. Tabs in Explorer

When you have one tab active in explorer (yes, I use explorer), you can click the explorer icon in the taskbar and it will minimize it. When you have more than 1 tab open, You click on the windows icon in the task bar and it brings up the two tabs. This annoys me...the same way macs annoy me. I am so used to just clicking the icon in the task bar to minimize what I am working on, and I would like to see double clicking the icon in the taskbar when there are multiple active tabs, that it would minimize it.

2. Locking Gadgets

I would love to be able to place a gadget, and then lock it in place. That way I can't drag it around and when I hover over it, it wouldnt bring up the little wrench and X. It would feel more like part of the desktop that way. I dont use gadgets because they just make me feel like the desktop is cluttered with applications, but I am sure I would use them if I could lock them in place.

That is all I have to say for now, I really enjoy windows 7 and I am anxious to buy a copy when its released.

Thanks.

Hi andybbtt11 and welcome to the forum! :)

I have to agree with you on the first one... the second one not so much, simply because I've never used the gadgets and don't plan on ever using them. I feel they are useless applications that like you said, just take up space on the desktop. Even though I'm using a 22 in ch lcd display I still don't need or want little useless apps such as this taking up space. ;)

Hi andybbtt11 and welcome to the forum! :)

I have to agree with you on the first one... the second one not so much, simply because I've never used the gadgets and don't plan on ever using them. I feel they are useless applications that like you said, just take up space on the desktop. Even though I'm using a 22 in ch lcd display I still don't need or want little useless apps such as this taking up space. ;)
I could not agree more radenight. The tabs in windows explorer would be awesome and would save so much space. The gadgets were never a big hit with Windows VISTA considering less than 20% of VISTA users leave them active. In VISTA they were on by default but in Windows 7 they will be off by default to please most users. So i completely agree that gadgets are a waste of space and time and dont do anything to help the user.

I was the same way, but I found a nice media player gadget that will shuffle your media but it also has an arrow that you can click that brings up a nice little library...I really liked it and it made me give gadgets a try. I think they can be pretty useful, its just annoying that every time I hover over it, that black thing shows up...

Regarding 1) - there is a setting to change this:
- Open IE
- Tools > Internet Options
- In the "General" tab, under "Tabs" click the "Settings" button
- Uncheck "Show previews for individual tabs in the taskbar"

:)

After messing with the beta, I have found 2 features that would make the workflow faster and eliminate a small...tiny....annoyance.

1. Tabs in Explorer

When you have one tab active in explorer (yes, I use explorer), you can click the explorer icon in the taskbar and it will minimize it. When you have more than 1 tab open, You click on the windows icon in the task bar and it brings up the two tabs. This annoys me...the same way macs annoy me. I am so used to just clicking the icon in the task bar to minimize what I am working on, and I would like to see double clicking the icon in the taskbar when there are multiple active tabs, that it would minimize it.

2. Locking Gadgets

I would love to be able to place a gadget, and then lock it in place. That way I can't drag it around and when I hover over it, it wouldnt bring up the little wrench and X. It would feel more like part of the desktop that way. I dont use gadgets because they just make me feel like the desktop is cluttered with applications, but I am sure I would use them if I could lock them in place.

That is all I have to say for now, I really enjoy windows 7 and I am anxious to buy a copy when its released.

Thanks.

Notify Microsoft through the "Send Feedback". It's people like you that help make Windows better :D

Best

Jordan

Back