Windows 7 two graphics cards installed, how do i choose

smash1012

first, i'm apologizing for being a computer idiot.

okay, i just did a clean install of Windows 7.
a few months ago, i had a new graphics card installed to allow me to play The Sims 3.
everything worked fine, until I installed Windows 7.

Now, in my device manager, I show two graphics cards:
- Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM)
- Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Both show up as fully updated with working drivers, and claim to be working properly.
When I try to start Sims, it says my graphics card is not compatible with the game (which I assume means it's running off the standard graphics card rather than the one I installed a few months ago which played the game perfectly).

I disabled The standard VGA, thinking it would use the Radeon card if the AVG were disabled, but it doesn't. My computer starts up, and works fine, and the screen display says I'm not currently using a graphics card (which confuses the hell out of me, because I thought I wouldn't be able to use the computer without one).

I checked the Compatibility center, and they say it's compatible.
So, my question is, How do i get my computer to use the Radeon card?

Last edited:
Hey,

You should go into the bios and disable the onboard video. That will get rid of the Standard VGA, which is what you want to do.

Then install a "proper" driver for your video card. Here it is:

If you have 32 bit Windows 7, install this - ATI Catalyst

If you have 64 bit Windows 7, install this - ATI Catalyst

----

If you don't know if you have 32 or 64 bit, then press the Windows key + Pause key at the same time. The screen that opens will tell you.

Enjoy.

(Side note: Make sure that the cable connecting your monitor is attached to the video card and not the motherboard.)

Okay, So i went into BIOS; and read through all of the options, I am SO sorry that I don't know what I'm doing, but can you tell me what to do once I'm in BIOS? :[

Last edited:
and what do you mean, plugged into the video card and not the motherboard?? the other monitor spot at the bottom of my computer? nothing shows up except a "monitor is working" message when i plug it into that spot.

Last edited:
On the back of your PC you should see a standard VGA port (blue) port and with some new mobo's a DVI (white) port and or both. Your GPU (graphics card) should have the same set up, it should have a VGA and DVI ports or dual DVI ports depending on the GPU. Then Make sure that the cable from the monitor is connected (plugged) into one of the ports on the GPU and not on the mobo of the pc. In this picture it has the mobo vga port at the top and the GPU card at the bottom. In this GPU it has a DVI port and a HDMI port.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

You could also try to unistall GPU and reboot and then reinstall GPU and driver package.

Back