Windows 7 type letters to select a file or folder instead of typing a search term

wfz

In XP (and Vista), you type alphebets to select a file or folder. For example, you are trying to access a file named "My file.txt", you type "m", "y" and it goes directly to folder or files start withm and y so it's close to My file.txt. This is convenient way to find a file you need.

But, it's not the same in Windows 7 anymore. Typing anything will activate the search. It narrows down the files in folder window and it shows many unrelated documents and folders.

Is there a way to disable that so I only search by keywords when I press Control-F while typing only takes me to the folder or file?

Thanks,

wfz

Welcome to the forums.

Go to Start/Control Panel/Folder Options/View and scroll to the bottom where it presents two options for when typing into list view. Check the box next to "Select the Typed item in the view".

Welcome to the forums.

Go to Start/Control Panel/Folder Options/View and scroll to the bottom where it presents two options for when typing into list view. Check the box next to "Select the Typed item in the view".

That fixed it. Thanks a lot for your help!

Back