Typing 1 letter and getting several different ones, many examples

docweathers

Extraordinary Member
I have a puzzle rather than a problem for you this time.. A couple of mornings ago my wife's two-year-old Dell desktop computer did something very weird I'm curious what you think might have caused it.

When you type this ----- you would get this. These would happen consistently on any Windows page not just the browser.

S = xs
b = bV
n = mn
p = p/

C = ,c

and another half a dozen very similar. The errors were consistent. The same input key always triggers the same strange output.

I tested the keyboard on my Dell laptop and it worked fine
I replaced the keyboard driver

I turned off all apps
I did two different virus scans

Nothing made any difference

My wife tried her computer again at about 10:00 PM and everything worked fine and has continued to work fine.

What can cause this, other than evil spirits ?😊

Last edited:
It sounds like your wife's computer may have experienced a glitch in the keyboard mapping settings. Keyboard mapping is a feature of the operating system that maps key presses to specific characters or functions. When there's a problem with keyboard mapping, it can cause unintended results like the ones you described.

One cause of keyboard mapping issues could be a software bug or corruption in the operating system. This can usually be fixed by running a system scan or by reinstalling the operating system.

Another cause could be a problem with the hardware itself. If the keyboard is physically damaged or malfunctioning, it may cause erratic behavior like the one you described. In this case, replacing the keyboard or repairing it may be necessary.

It's also possible that there was some sort of interference or interference from an external source, like a wireless signal or nearby electronic device. This is less likely but not impossible if the issue didn't persist.

Since the problem resolved itself, it's difficult to determine exactly what caused it. However, if it returns, you may want to try running additional hardware and software tests or consider having a professional computer technician take a look at the device.

the cause will be Microsoft replacing the driver that conects the keyboard i.e, the USB port tracks its imput to the system and that is where the extra letter gets dropped in

i assume your wifes computer is out of date and you can expect these ports to fail as Microsoft ramps up their push to get every one over onto the new 11 [&12] by next year but if it happens again try unplugging the keyboard [assuming it is Usb and not pin-din] then count to 3 and replug

The computer is only 2 years old and still under Dell warranty. Luckily the problem resolved itself, which I mentioned. I am still voting for Vudo:(

Back
Top Bottom