Windows 7 Unable to activate win7 install

andyhutch

I am attempting to install win7 64 bit Home Premium and I am positive the product code is correct but it has refused to accept it two times now. I purchased this product at Costco a few months ago and this version is a family pack that allows three installs. This is my second install and the first installed without a problem.

Any ideas?

Andy

Microsoft No Longer Offers That....

A few months ago Microsoft had an offer like that, but that offer has expired. You might want to talk to Microsoft because they currently offer one computer license/key per purchase.

What O/S Are You Using On The Other Two Computers?

The family pack will only work on upgrades from Windows XP or Windows Vista, otherwise you'll have to buy regular copy Windows 7. They have to be licensed computers for your residence to qualify.

At the point where the activation says invalid key or the key has already been used or in use, call Microsoft from the contact number on the installation screen, from there, try to do the automated product ID change. Just follow the instructions and they should issue a new product key which you will have to type in as your on the phone.
If the automated doesn't work they will switch you to a rep, which you will have to explain the issue and again they should provide you with a new product ID number.
Hope this helps

Don

Thanks Don I will be calling them tomorrow first thing.

Celestra the Win7 Upgrade program will do a new install of Win7 when using the Custom Install and everything on the drive will be lost, per Microsoft. Per my manual which may be incorrect, the Upgrade choice is to be used with Vista and your files, programs and settings will be intact. I guess that only Vista will be truly upgraded. I did this on my laptop which was running Vista with my first of the three installs in the Family Pack.

The Custom choice according to the same manual will always wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of Win7 and if you are running XP or any other OS all will be lost, so MS says to save everything prior to using this on an external drive and reinstall programs and transfer data back after the installation of Win7.

I am now doing a fresh install on a virgin drive so I chose the Custom install. Initially I thought I needed to buy a full version of Win7 to do the install or install XP first and then the Win7 upgrade but I found out I would be wasting my money on XP.

Thanks for your help and if I am wrong please let me know.

Andy

I am now doing a fresh install on a virgin drive so I chose the Custom install. Initially I thought I needed to buy a full version of Win7 to do the install or install XP first and then the Win7 upgrade but I found out I would be wasting my money on XP.

You would indeed be wasting money on Xp as you can not do an upgrade from Xp to Win 7, you can, however, do an upgrade from Xp to Vista and then upgrade Vista to Win 7.

Also, keep in mind that once you call M$ and have the product ID changed, if you ever run in to a problem and your last resort is to re-install Win 7, you will have go through the process again.

Good luck,

Don

As of late MS seem to have problems with retail activations - some keys are rejected for no apparent reason. Just call activation for a new key and be well :)

I guess MS is busy implementing geo-lock which they deny it even exist :rolleyes: but it does exist.

Back