Windows 8 Unable to convert unallocated space to a New Disk

sanchit

I have bought a brand new HP Pro 3330 Microtower model recently.

I had ordered it with 500GB hard disk and it had come with Windows 8 Pro OS. OS was installed in the C drive having all the space (465GB) available. I would like to have another disk as I don't want to save my data in the same drive in which Windows is installed. When I'm shrinking the data, around 357GB, from the C drive, it is then turning out to be an Unallocated Space. But I'm not able to convert this unallocated space to a new drive. I'm getting the error message that there is not enough space in the drive(s).

I've attached the screenshot of the disk management. Even if I'm trying to extend the volume of any of the drives other than the C, i'm not able to. Kindly put in your valuable suggestions.

Attachments

• Disk Management.jpg
    Disk Management.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 364
I have bought a brand new HP Pro 3330 Microtower model recently.

I had ordered it with 500GB hard disk and it had come with Windows 8 Pro OS. OS was installed in the C drive having all the space (465GB) available. I would like to have another disk as I don't want to save my data in the same drive in which Windows is installed. When I'm shrinking the data, around 357GB, from the C drive, it is then turning out to be an Unallocated Space. But I'm not able to convert this unallocated space to a new drive. I'm getting the error message that there is not enough space in the drive(s).

I've attached the screenshot of the disk management. Even if I'm trying to extend the volume of any of the drives other than the C, i'm not able to. Kindly put in your valuable suggestions.
Never mind. I re read your post. Did you try extending C, then trying to create a smaller partition?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is strange a new computer with Windows 8 did not come in the UEFI configuration. Because it did not, the drive is configured as MBR and cannot contain more than 4 primary partitions, which you already have.

You could only switch to Logical partitions if you had 3 primary partitions and made the fourth one extended to hold the Logical drives. But removing any of your current configuration might destroy the recovery system currently in place.

Back
Top Bottom