Windows 7 Unable to detect/read CD/DVD

Well here is the report my Device Manager is saying:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Once again the mixed posting into a thread started by one by different persons at various stages of troubleshoot and replies have created a lot of confusion to a reader like me. Therefore I am copying your original and subsequent posts to this thread for the sake of continuity.

Your "telegraphic style" of writing with implied meanings has made me to read into the text you have posted earlier and that might have caused me some problem interpreting it , so please excuse if I have misunderstood your intent.
yes I installed the one from the offical MS site.
And I installed it from the iso.
I was able to install my webcam software, and 3 hours later I thought; hm MS Office.
it wasnt showing anywhere
Tried system recovery.
Helped, installed MS office, wanted to install software for bluetooth.
at 30% I dot a Blue screen, and the system restarted and did a recovery by it self.
And now my drive does not work again.

I'll try to use the method you sugested, I'm at school atm so.

I do remember it was showing some sort of an error at "Device Manager", will check and post when I get home. .

Did you say you could eventually see your MS Office Suite (did not mention its Version in your original Post) installed previously in your computer with problem described above, after you did System Recovery ? If the answer is positively yes, I guess you might need additional steps beyond the ones below.Therefore if the following steps could not resolve your problem, please post back in detail.

Solution for the Error code 39: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

HowTo: Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

• You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver.
  • Windows may have the driver built-in,
  • or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device.
  • However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver.
    • If the above happens (unlikely in Optical drive's case) plese post that information unambiguously.
· Here are the numbered steps for the above bulleted explanations:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Right click your CD-DVD Device with the error message
  3. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall.
  4. Follow the instructions.
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
  7. Follow the instructions.
If you need help please post in detail
Thank you

Last edited:
Hmm well.

When I installed Windows 7, everything was working as it was supposed 2.
And I managed to install my webcam software by CD.
After an hour or so I came back to my pc, (because I had dinner) and put in the MS Office 2003 CD in my drive.
Bút, nothing was starting!
So I went to "My Computer", and I noticed the drive wasn't even showing.
Followed by that I went to Device Manager, and noticed the error.
I used the same steps as you've said a few minutes ago, but it did not fix the problem.
I went to System Recovery and my pc was rebooting etc.

When it was done rebooting, I inserted my MS Office CD, and it was asking me to run it!
So I was happy yay.
But when I wanted to install my Bluetooth stick, things were getting crazy.
Blue screen, and it made a system recovery by itself.
I did save the text that was showing after it was done. (I'll quote it here below)

Now I followed your steps again (cmn), but it is still not working.

If you want me to start a new topic, please say so.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1043

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 131
BCP1: 00000001
BCP2: 00000006
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7100
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\051109-42937-01.dmp
C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-69593-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Last edited:
Hmm well.

When I installed Windows 7, everything was working as it was supposed 2.
And I managed to install my webcam software by CD.
After an hour or so I came back to my pc, (because I had dinner) and put in the MS Office 2003 CD in my drive.
Bút, nothing was starting!
So I went to "My Computer", and I noticed the drive wasn't even showing.
Followed by that I went to Device Manager, and noticed the error.
I used the same steps as you've said a few minutes ago, but it did not fix the problem.
I went to System Recovery and my pc was rebooting etc.

When it was done rebooting, I inserted my MS Office CD, and it was asking me to run it!
So I was happy yay.
But when I wanted to install my Bluetooth stick, things were getting crazy.
Blue screen, and it made a system recovery by itself.
I did save the text that was showing after it was done. (I'll quote it here below)

Now I followed your steps again (cmn), but it is still not working.

If you want me to start a new topic, please say so.
No need to start another thread becasue we have everything in one place :)

The current Blue screen seems to be from an outdated Bluetooth Device Driver installation attempt.
What Bluetooth device are you trying to install? Giving the exact Make & Model of the device in problem is one way to avoid a clarification plus the answer might come from people who had exact situation.
Therefore my approach would be to find out the cause of the last problem and work backwards in series for any remaining issues with your CD/DVD device including the errors shown in the Device Manager.
To summarize , what is the Make & model of the Bluetooth Device?

I will wait for your answer.

Hmm I'm sorry I checked again, it was a "Audigy" CD.
Bluetooth CD cover was on top on my desk, my bad.

Couln't it be a um, "blue screen of death?"
It was showing for just a few seconds, it wasn't saying anything about my drive or the software I was installing.
It just crashed I assume.

Driver: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH182M ATA Device.

It's a Samsung driver.

In your thumbnail, choose the Driver tab tell us what's listed there, well not in your thumbnail actually:D

I have the exact same device and my says working correctly,
Driver provider: Microsoft
Driver version 6.1.700.0
Driver details should state cdrom.sys

Do a search for cdrom.sys. It should be 108,544 KB in size and located in the C:\windows\system32 directory and the C:\Windows\system32\Driverstore\******. The last one should be located under the C:\windows\winsxs directory.

Also go to Start > Run, and type services.msc. make sure the Plug and Play entry is started and set to Automatic

Last edited by a moderator:
In your thumbnail, choose the Driver tab tell us what's listed there, well not in your thumbnail actually:D

I have the exact same device and my says working correctly,
Driver provider: Microsoft
Driver version 6.1.700.0
Driver details should state cdrom.sys

Do a search for cdrom.sys. It should be 108,544 KB in size and located in the C:\windows\system32 directory and the C:\Windows\system32\Driverstore\******. The last one should be located under the C:\windows\winsxs directory.

Also go to Start > Run, and type services.msc. make sure the Plug and Play entry is started and set to Automatic

Pic is included!

I found the cdrom.sys & it has the right size.
And I checked; Plug and Play is set to automatic.

Pic is included!

I found the cdrom.sys & it has the right size.
And I checked; Plug and Play is set to automatic.

• Try to do a Firmware update if your current Firmware for the device is older than SB06. You can download SB06 from :SAMSUNG ODD SERVICE
  • Formerly, Samsung provided firmware and flash utility as separate files to download (The "classic" type). Newer firmware releases contain both in a self-executing Zipped archive (The "all-in-1" type).
So your download is either some .exe or a .bin file, depending on the firmware version.

If you got a .bin file, you can get the flash utility from here: Link Removed - Invalid URL.
Put it into the same folder as your firmware .bin files.

Both - the classic and the all-in-1 - work basically the same way:
  • Run flasher
  • load firmware
  • flash firmware
  • Reboot
The all-in-1 package extracts sfdnwin.exe (the flasher) and autorun.bin (the firmware file) to C:\Temp. If this folder does not exist, then it will be created. Administrative permissions are required.

• Run the Flasher :
  1. Run the executable you downloaded, either the all-in-1 package or sfdnwin.exe
  2. Now select the drive you want to flash
  3. The flash utility is ready then.
  • Load firmware

1. Click on the "load file" button
    2. and browse... for the firmware file you want to flash into your drive.
    3. If you used the "all-in-1", then "autorun.bin" will be offered by default (*):
  • Flash firmware
1. Click on the "download" button to start the firmware update process:
2. Then you have to wait and watch the progressbar until the process is finished

3. After clicking on "OK", your Computer will be rebooted immediately.
  • Go back to DM and check if error symbol still there.
Good luck
To Check Firmware Version Go here: http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWvercheck/FWvercheck.asp

Last edited:
Well now I have an other problem:
I downloaded the firmware (.exe)

I run it (as administrator), my mouse indicates it's loading, and it's followed by..nothing.
Nothing happens, nothing loads.

And I wanted to check my firmware through your link, it gives me a program.
Only that program says: "DRIVE NOT FOUND!!!"
Followed by a window to select a drive, but it's blank, and I cant choose anything.

Edit: Got the Exe. working, but I cant select a drive because there is not any.

Last edited:
Well now I have an other problem:
I downloaded the firmware (.exe)

I run it (as administrator), my mouse indicates it's loading, and it's followed by..nothing.
Nothing happens, nothing loads.

And I wanted to check my firmware through your link, it gives me a program.
Only that program says: "DRIVE NOT FOUND!!!"
Followed by a window to select a drive, but it's blank, and I cant choose anything.

Edit: Got the Exe. working, but I cant select a drive because there is not any.

I had asked you to confirm your current Firmware Version and gave the link at the bottom to check.
Did you check it? If so what was the result.
If you now cannot Flash the Drive, the Device is not seen by the BIOS.

Please access BIOS Setup by appropriate key hit on reboot and check if your Drive is seen there.
If it is not seen in BIOS Windows cannot install driver or firmware.
If autodetect cannot install the DVD device either it is damaged, not connected properly to the Motherboard or the cable used is damaged or the PWR connector is not OK etc.

Last edited:
And I said in my post that I did, but it could not see my driver!

I went to options with F2,
I could only find the name in the "boot" tab -> boot device properties and Drive order.
It was both at the top.

I did notice that my pc said:
"Intel (R) Management Information: Firmware version: Unknown

Last edited:
omission

And I said in my post that I did, but it could not see my driver!

I went to options with F2,
I could only find the name in the "boot" tap -> boot device properties and Drive order.
It was both at the top.

I did notice that my pc said:
"Intel (R) Management Information: Firmware version: Unknown

Usually in BIOS setup there will be a Main Menu tab and other Menus including BOOT
Under the Main Menu usually the following items will be listed. But the actual display may vary with the MoB or Computer brand. This also depends upon what type of Brand name Computer (Desktop/Laptop) and type of BIOS ( Amibios, Award BIOS, etc) . Knowing the MOB make and model or Computer Make and Model will help us to find this from Support pages.

• System Time
  • System Date
  • Language
  • Legacy Diskette A (floppy)
  • Primary Master (hard drive); selecting this brings up the hard drive settings, such as cylinders, sectors, and capacity
  • Primary Slave
  • Secondary Master (CD-ROM); selecting this brings up the CD-ROM settings
  • Secondary Slave
  • Installed Memory (RAM)
  • BIOS revision
I expected you to tell me it was listed under Main Menu. I understood from your post you saw that under Boot Menu. I am confused why it was not seen under Main Menu where there can be an option to Auto Detect if it's not seen as expected with its name .
If this is a self built system please name its exact Motherboard Make & Model; if its a Brand Name Computer please post the exact Make and Model . With the MoB make & Model or Computer Make and Model I may be able to search their support site and locate documentation to see the type of BIOS and the BIOS Setup Menu and Submenu to verify how the Optical drive, hard drive and Floppy drive (if any) are normally displayed there and ask you to specifically look for it.

DVD RW read problem

i have a LG GSA H20N ATA DVD RW. im using windows 7 RC. and it worked fine for some time after installing the x64 OS, but suddenly from now the CD/DVD is not being read. Whenever i put a CD/DVD into the drive, the light blinks for sometime and goes blank. When i double click the drive in Comptuter, it says insert disk into the drive and opens the tray. The drive is being detected in the BIOS.

Oz

Sorry for my late reply, school/exams getting in the way.

And I think it's best if I record my BIOS Setup screen etc.
I think it would be more easier for you instead of reading.

It's a selfmade pc (well, done by a shop)

I did find a line in "everest", which said the following:
"The system BIOS is older than 2 years, there might be updates"

Moederbordeigenschappen: (motherboard properties)
Fabrikant Intel Corporation
Product DP965LT
Versie AAD41694-205
Serienummer AZLT6360006E

Sorry for my late reply, school/exams getting in the way.

And I think it's best if I record my BIOS Setup screen etc.
I think it would be more easier for you instead of reading.

It's a selfmade pc (well, done by a shop)

I did find a line in "everest", which said the following:
"The system BIOS is older than 2 years, there might be updates"
I'm sorry I could not locate from the internet search your Intel DP965LT motherboard's BIOS Setup screen shots to upload and show where to look for the CD/DVD device

Based on some other Intel Board I think, there is a menu titled Advanced
If you click Advanced , under that you will see several items.
Click the item marked Drive Configuration and check and see if there you see your CD/DVD device and option to Enble /Disable
The Everest home screen saying older BIOS may or may not help. You may try updating if that was what you used this screen shot.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I could not locate from the internet search your Intel DP965LT motherboard's BIOS Setup screen shots to upload and show where to look for the CD/DVD device

I don't really understand that sentence, I'm sorry.

I'll go ahead and check in a min with the reboot in "advance" tab.

I don't really understand that sentence, I'm sorry.

I'll go ahead and check in a min with the reboot in "advance" tab.
I wanted to help you with some Images of Your Motherboard's BIOS Setup screen. The purpose was to show which menu or submenu you need to open to see CD/DVD Configuration .
I was searching the Internet for such an image so I could upload that as JPG to this post to show where to find the Configuration menu. I was unable to find one to upload.
If you can Capture a screenshot of Advanced menu and Drive configurtion submenu in your BIOS Seup screen that might tell us if the CD device is seen there as well as in th BOOT menu as you previosly stated.
Hope it is clearer now.

Back