Windows 7 Unable to detect/read CD/DVD

Hmm I'm sorry.
Attached a picture.
Since we could not see the DVD drive there, I imagine the SATA DVD is damaged or its Power or Data Cable is damaged or the MOBO SATA connector is not working.

You can try connecting that SATA DVD in another system and see if it can be seen in that system's BIOS. If it is seen in the second PC's BIOS and also Computer and Device Manager, the Drive is undamaged.
Remove that drive and the SATA cable and Power cable if detachable and use that to connect to the same SATA connector of the original PC from which it was removed. If it is still not seen in the BIOS then change it to a different Mob SATA connector to rule out damaged MoB SATA connector.

Last edited:
I'd rather not touch to much in the inside.
I'll go to that shop, they know me so.

But it can't be damaged..
It was working fine on XP.
and it even worked on 7 the first 3hours.

Also if you google this problem, more of this problems will show meh.

Well anyway, I want to thank you for your time!
I'll report back when it is fixed :)

But it can't be damaged..
It was working fine on XP.
and it even worked on 7 the first 3hours.

Also if you google this problem, more of this problems will show meh.

Well anyway, I want to thank you for your time!
I'll report back when it is fixed :)
Yeah if you are not into hardware troubleshoot or system building avoid opening the case. I will be interested in finding the final diagnosis; whether the

DVD Drive damaged
SATA Drive cable damaged or loose on either end
SATA Power Cable damaged or loose
SATA Connector on the MoB damaged
It is common for some system Builders to hurriedly closing the case and the Cable may be good but might not be attached firmly and securely to its socket/connector and during the movement on its trip from shop to the house and final setting up , the cable can go off the socket and drive may not then be seen in the BIOS> Drive malfunction.

Very Useful, and far too simple

I've been reading through this topic because I had a similar, if not the same problem, just with a different drive manufacturer:

I can see the device in "My Computer". When i inserted media into my SATA dvd rom drive Windows told me there was no media present.
  • The Windows 7 installation is the official release from Microsoft
  • I installed from the burnt DVD (so obviously it was working before)
  • It was working when I first installed, but has suddenly stopped
  • The BIOS reports that the drive is detected
  • The cdrom.sys is the correct size and date
  • The driver installed in Windows is the correct driver
Somethings that I have tried (of which failed)
  • Searching for updated drivers (couldn't find any)
  • Uninstalling / Restarting / Reinstalling through Device Manager
  • Updating / Uninstalling SPTD that is required for Daemon Tools / Alcohol 120%
  • The UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry fix available here from microsoft support
    • Link Removed - Invalid URL
Until I read

So I had a look inside, there. low and behold. the SATA power cable had come out of the back of my DVD drive!! What was puzzling me, was that the disc drive still opened, closed, the reading light flashed, and I can see the drive in the BIOS as well as my computer. I wasnt aware that the sata data cable carried any power so assumed it must be something more complex than checking "is the power cable plugged in" :eek:

Problem Solved (For me at least):
First, always check if the power cable is plugged in! :p

Hmm well I opened it up, dusty lool.
it's been a month since I cleaned it so xD

I attached a picture, I checked, they are plugged in..

Hy guys. I have the same problem.
After I intalled windows 7 Evaluatin Copy, Build 7100 and the dvd-rom stop working. When i turn on my laptop the dvd-rom led light for a second and when i unplug&plug him it's happening the same thing....
At Disk Management i can't see him.....i have a sony nec optiarc AD-7540...... or something like that.
If a plug a cd-rom this is working....:(.
It is from the dvd-rom?..............Please help me......

P.S. Excuse my bad english......Thanks you!

Last edited:
LG GGW-H20L BDRW

Worked to install Windows 7, works fine in XP Pro x64 same primary HD, different partition.
Shows up in Device Manager as installed with error, !. Sometimes it just says CD-Rom.
Does not show up in Disk Manager.
Does not show up in Explorer.
Is plugged in, lol.
Removed from Device Manager, Restart, same issue.
Regedit remove Lower Filters, Restart, same issue.

Dell Precision 490 2x 3ghz Xeon
8 Gig ram
Seagate SATA II 500g C: Win7 x64 RC 7100/XP Pro x64 Dual Boot, split partition.
Seagate SATA II 1000g D:
SATA set to ACHI mode
Pioneer DVD/RW IDE E:
nVidia Quadro FX3450

I just went back to XP and burned a Blu-Ray then burned a Lightscribe with it.

LG DVD-RAM Drive not reading discs in Windows 7 RC

Ok, I've tried to keep up with all of the suggestions in this thread, but it seems like there are fifteen different conversations going on and it's super confusing.

I, too, am having an issue with my CD/DVD drive reading (or should I say not reading) discs. The drive WORKED during the installation of the RC build. However, when it comes to installing other programs into the system, the drive will recognize the disc but will not run it.

The drive model is:
LG GH22NS30 Super Multi - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - Serial ATA - 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) 48x (CD) / 20x (DVD±R) / 12x (DVD-R DL) / 16x (DVD+R DL) 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) - Internal - Black

Here's a footnote play by play of the issue and what I have done:

-- Drive is recognized by Windows 7 (can be seen in Explorer and Device Manager)
-- Drive will recognize discs in Explorer, but will not advance any playback of a disc past that point
-- I have tried removing the Upper and LowerFilters in the registry; NEITHER value existed when I searched for them
-- I have uninstalled the drive, both physically and via device manager
-- I have run Devcon to determine the parameters of the drive; this is the resulting information:
IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH22NS30_________________1.02____\5&F23758A&0&1.0.0
Name: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 ATA Device
Setup Class: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} CDROM
Controlling Service:
cdrom
1 matching device(s) found.

-- Have verified that both the power and data cables ARE seated properly

Recently, MS Office 2007 spun up in the drive and prompted me for the key, but the drive DID NOT run the installation past that point. It hung at the first step; the drive never spun up audibly.

I have tried most of what you have suggested and am still at a loss. I have been running 7 for about a month now and have done it without a functioning CD/DVD drive. It's getting frustrating, and I am looking for a fix. PLEASE HELP and thank you in advance.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ Black Edition
Abit AN52 nForce 520 Motherboard
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB DDR2 (PC2 6400)
Western Digital WD360GD 36gb Raptor (XP and Apps)
Western Digital WD740ADFD 74gb Raptor (Storage)
LG GH22NS30 DVD-RAM Drive
XfX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition

I have the same problem. Sony DVD +-R/RW SATA drive. I used the drive to burn the ISO. Used the drive to install Windows 7. I have no upper or lower in my registry. I tried Link Removed - Invalid URL but the .MSI file says I do not have a supported version of Windows. Makes sense as it's for Vista but I found the link from another support forum and the poster said it worked. I tried running in compatability mode and administrator.

I tried the fix it yourself options. Those didn't work either. I have no Upper or Lower Filters. Reinstalled XP and the drive works there.

The drive does not show up in My Computer or in Device Manager.

I think that Windows 7 simply does not support this type of drive at all yet.

If somebody has a different option please let me know as I am willing to try it.

I think this is exactly the issue I have...I'll paste what I've posted elsewhere:

My optical drive was working fine under XP Pro and it was the drive I used to burn and install my copy of Win 7. Once I booted Windows 7 though, it refuses to read CDs or DVDs.

"With audio CDs both Winamp and Window Media player can see the disc and even display the title and track info but refuse to play the tracks, just skipping through them really fast making an occasional clicking noise. With Data discs, either CD or DVD it shows the title of the disc in Windows Explorer but will not open the files or even display them and if you try to look at the contents of the disc, Explorer just locks up and stops responding although it will usually recover instantly if I remove the disc from the drive.

I haven't physically touched any hardware. The drivers for the motherboard are current and I've flashed the current version of the bios. I've tried the drive with multiple discs, audio, DVD video and data. I've seen the fix regarding the upper and lower filters for optical drives and that's not the issue here, I checked. I've tried both native and legacy modes for IDE in the bios. The drive is a Lite-On DH20A4P CD/DVD burner. It's an IDE drive which may or may not be meaningful. There's nothing showing exclamation marks or other warnings in the device manager."

In addition, I don't see IDE drives anywhere in the bios only SATA. There's none of the usual options that I've seen in bioses in the past to detect or configure IDE drives. It always just worked under XP so I never fiddled. The fact that it is delivering *some* info to the OS indicates that something is connected and working.

Same problems

I have a medion laptop with a samsung sn-s083b (tsst corp cddvdw sn-s083b ata device) CD/DVD drive in.
Laptop came with vista everything worked great apart from vista obviously
Installed an official version of windows 7 RC
now have lots of problems with the disc drive

sometimes windows recognises it sometimes it doesnt, I've worked out that if I eject the disc tray windows suddenly recognises it but if I try to do anything with it the program im using crashes.
For example if I try to access the properties through my computer, explorer crashes
As soon as I put a disc in the drive, the whole laptop crashes
If i try to burn a disc through mediamonkey, mediamonkey crashes
Trying to uninstall the hardware through the device manager, device manager crashes etc.

I have tried all the solutions posted in this thread and none of them have worked,
I looked in the registry and there are no upper filters to change, the drives plug and play settings are on automatic, the disc drive is recognised in the BIOS and by all other menus that arent in windows 7.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Mine does not show up when I do this. I have already cleared the filters but my computer has no idea it has a DVD drive. what does it mean when it doesn't show up in the computer management

I'm in the exact position Resound is in. My optical drive also happens to be a Lite-On, but not the same model (SOHW-1693S). I installed Windows 7 through an USB-device and didn't notice this problem until I tried burning a DVD yersterday.

I have the RTM version of Windows 7 and it's running on a computer with the following specifications.

Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe - BIOS: 2901 (updated 2009-10-02)
Optical drive: Lite-On SOHW-1693S - DVD+-RW DL burner

I currently run the optical drive from the integrated IDE-port on the motherboard which is controlled by Intel's ICH7R-chipset.

Everything worked fine under Windows XP, but now in Windows 7 I ran into a problem while burning a DVD. If i try to burn onto a blank DVD or CD (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL etc.) it ends with the program "writing lead-in" (ImgBurn) or similar errors for CloneCD/DVD and Nero. When i abort the current operation (I have to close the programs through task manager) the drive continues to race and it wont stop until the computer is rebooted. This led me to believe there was something wrong altogether with the drive.

At a first glance however the drive appeared to work as a DVD-ROM. When I insert discs it gives me the appropriate information; artist, album name etc. for music CD:s or title and manufacturer of software. When choosing to play the disk in different ways the problem became clear. When playing a disc through explorer the optical drive starts whining a bit and locks up explorer. By opening the drive manually it's possible to get the window to respond once again. If choosing to run a media-player it displays track information but wont play the music.

I've tried the things mentioned in this thread:
* Uninstalling, reinstalling through device manager
* Removing Upper, Lower (only Lower where present)
* Updating BIOS and Firmware (the latter was current during windows install)
* Checking BIOS for drives - All present (also visible in Explorer, obviously)

I'm not sure what to try next... I hate to say it but this is about to be the final strike for this OS, almost every application I use suffer from grave problems when running under Windows 7...

CD/DVD Player not showing up

I am in the same boat but don't give up on 7. I have had it for almost a year and really like it. I replaced Vista because of the constant problems I had. The same thing happened to me in Vista so I don't think it is A problem with the OS, I have done everything you have and it only shows up in the device manager when it feels like it. I am really at the point of just buying a new dvd drive and see what happens

I just stayed clear of Vista as I felt comfortable in Windows XP, but with the release of Win7 I felt it was time to upgrade.

For me the device always shows up in device manager and it's never a problem to get that initial information of a disc. As mentioned above however I can't do anything with a CD or DVD and it's extremely frustrating.

I also checked the cables and all seems to be well. I noticed that my optical drive had the jumper set to slave despite being connected on the master end of the IDE-cable. Made no difference though, all i got was a "driver successfully installed" after reboot.

CD/DVD Player not showing up

Well at least yours shows up in the device manager and it sounds like you know quite a bit about computers. I on the other hand have to depend on these forums and the kindness of my friends to help me. My only shows up in the device manager occasionally and that is when I take full advantage of it being there. It will play and burn when it shows up. I am really beginning to think I need to replace it because I have done everything I have read to do. It seems like I had a similar problem when I had Vista but it had something to do with the filters ans after clearing them it did fine. Also some software is not compatible. For example, I had to take itunes off for anything elase to work. Although I am sure you have thought of it, maybe your dvd drive is confused. It may not know what program to use because you have too many I know there is a default but with mine it didn't matter Itunes had everything all messed up. Not that I don't like itunes it and Roxio were causing problems.

I managed to solve my problem by using my secondary JMicron-controller. It so happens that the IDE-cabel I was using is marked HDD and the other one in my all-to-do-with-the-computer-box was clearly marked CDROM. The thing is i know that should be of little importance, but I tried anyway and it worked!

My primary IDE-port is located on the side of the motherboard so it's really hard to access and when I was going to connect this new cable to it I had to use a flashlight... When I did I saw a broken pin on the motherboard, hence it was not strange for me to have problems. What is very strange however is that I was able to use my drive continuously for more than a year without any difficulties under XP. It's not fun to realize you're the cause of the error, but I've some newfound faith in Win7 :)

I hope all you others with drive issues find a solution soon. As for my knowledge of computers micbanning, it's not as good as it used to be, but I'm trying. I think it's great that we can all use forums to help each other! If I ever hear about anything like your problem I'll be sure to get back to you through this thread.

The thing is i know that should be of little importance, but I tried anyway and it worked!

I have a medion laptop with a samsung sn-s083b (tsst corp cddvdw sn-s083b ata device) CD/DVD drive in.
Laptop came with vista everything worked great apart from vista obviously
Installed an official version of windows 7 RC
now have lots of problems with the disc drive

sometimes windows recognises it sometimes it doesnt, I've worked out that if I eject the disc tray windows suddenly recognises it but if I try to do anything with it the program im using crashes.
For example if I try to access the properties through my computer, explorer crashes
As soon as I put a disc in the drive, the whole laptop crashes
If i try to burn a disc through mediamonkey, mediamonkey crashes
Trying to uninstall the hardware through the device manager, device manager crashes etc.

I have tried all the solutions posted in this thread and none of them have worked,
I looked in the registry and there are no upper filters to change, the drives plug and play settings are on automatic, the disc drive is recognised in the BIOS and by all other menus that arent in windows 7.

Any help will be much appreciated.

RESOLVED !!!!
Hiya,

same Laptop (ALDI), same problem.
I had tried deleting the registry entry as in a few posts below.
with that setting still in place (no idea if that helped or not) I went to try to upgrade firmware
the firmware on laptop is 01 and the upgrade is a 02 version.
you can snatch it at samsungodd.com
it toook me about three tries to download the firmware into the drive, but once that worked (one it shows a blue progressbar 1/3 way you're good ... wait then) i rebooted once it was finished and the drive behaves perfectly normal now.
when I eject a disc the icon in explorer is instantly updated to the default "cd dvd drive" and if i put in a disc it's recognised within the next 5 secs
no problems since :)

i never thoght it worked as the drive works perfectly fine in linux so I blamed windows 7 drivers (which are re-installed on reboot) ...

good luck !!!

Kalli

Last edited:
Ok, I think I fixed it. I did a system check and it said to replace my drive. Then I found this post saying something about the sata data power thingy. I opened the back of my laptop and there was this little copper looking L shaped power conductor. So I pressed it down so that it contacted the silver thingy and viola it is now working beautifully. You are my hero and thank you soooo much. You saved me a lot of money and stress.

Back
Top Bottom