Windows 7 Unable to enable "File and Printer Sharing" on Windows 7..

LudvigGrr

Hey there, bit of a problem here..

When i go "Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center - Advanced Sharing Settings" and try to enable the "file and printer sharing" and click OK, it doens't save it.. If i go there again, the settings have just reverted back to disabled.. Anybody have an idea as to why this is? "Network discovery" i can enable, however "File and Printer sharing", and "Public Folder Sharing" i cannot..
Im running with pretty much standard settings, "file and printer sharing" is allowed in the firewall rules, and is enabled in the properties of my network card.. Im guessing maybe something is conflicting and turning it back off, but can anybody help me out with that?! I'm kinda blank as to what to do here..
Im running on a school domain network, with my own desktop.. My laptop, which i received from my school, has no problem enabling it, but my desktop however can not..
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey there, bit of a problem here..
Im running on a school domain network, with my own desktop.. My laptop, which i received from my school, has no problem enabling it, but my desktop however can not..
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Before you make the leap and decide that the problem is actually with your computer, check with the domain administrator and ask if there are any specific domain GPOs (group policy objects) that are being applied to whatever OU (organizational unit) your desktop is a member of, that may be preventing you from configuring your local file and printer sharing settings.
Are both the laptop and desktop members of the same OU? Are they both Windows 7 machines?
What type of domain is it? Microsoft Active Directory?
Which server version and which domain functional level? Some older server version or newer servers set at older functional levels may have issues with GPOs as they apply to Windows 7 or vice versa.
There are a couple local services that may be impacting the issue. I believe that both the Workstation and Server services need to be running and set to automatic as a startup type so you might check the services.msc console for those.
Also I suppose that it may be possible that some over zealous piece of third party software (Firewalls like ZoneAlarm or Comodo) or (Internet security suites like Norton/Symantec, McAfee, AVG, etc.,) might have a hand in your issue.
Finally run the System File Checker and see if it finds any issues.
From an elevated command prompt type
sfc /scannow
Welcome to the forums and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Hi,

You need to now connect other systems to the Homegroup.

To do this, you need to access ‘Control Panel‘ from the ‘Start menu‘ and select the ‘Choose Homegroup and sharing options.’

It will display a message that the Windows has detected another homegroup on your network.

At the time, you need to click the ‘Join Now‘ button.

It will then ask for a password and you need to enter the password you got after you have created the Homegroup.

Just click the ‘Finish‘ button and get the system connected.

Get more information to fix windows 7 printer sharing problem :

http://printers.iyogi.com/help-support/windows-7-printer-sharing.html

File and Printer Sharing between Windows 7 RC and XP

Printer Sharing - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this information helps you.

Back
Top Bottom