Windows 7 Unable to find or delete a renamed file

Check Six

I am having trouble deleting two files. I could not work out why I couldn't delete the first file (a photo), and then it happened again, so it became obvious what I had done wrong. It was in my "incoming" folder in a P2P file sharing program, and I made the mistake of renaming the file after I copied it to my photo album folder. When I then tried to delete the file, it tells me that it cannot find the file. There is an icon in the "incoming" folder, but clicking on it does not open it (apparently because it isn't there any more), and I cannot delete it because the file can't be found. I tried searching for the original file name, and the name I renamed it to, but windows couldn't find these files either.

I hope someone can help me.

Hi,
If you are using P2P sharing software such as uTorrent or Pirate Bay, that file was most likely infected with a virus/malware. We at WF generally don't condone using these types of download sites.

That being said you have some options:
1.) Use whatever AV program you have installed on your computer and scan/remove all viruses found.
2.) Visit malwarebytes.org and download and run the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware program. Scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot your computer and attempt to delete the file again. If it works, you had a virus that was blocking your attempts at using Windows tools to delete the file (along with the virus) and you are good to go!:up:
3.) If the problem persists, you can download tools such as Revo or Search Everything and attempt to remove the file again.
4.) If the file still won't let you delete it, it probably has hooks into the Registry and you'll need to use more aggressive software repair techniques. You should also test your hardware, as since you are running Windows7, your computer is 8 years old this year and is very likely to have suffered from a hard drive failure. You can do both of these things yourself by following the step-by-step free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE I wrote available here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.
After backup up all your data to external media before attempting hardware testing or software repairs, you'll probably need to do a Windows Reset or Reinstallation from Factory RECOVERY MEDIA if you have it. The GUIDE tells you how to do this. Reformatting the drive will be required to correct the Windows corruption or lurking virus (especially if it's a Rootkit or Bootkit virus, since neither AV or MBAM can remove those :().
5.) Take your computer to your local Computer Pro and pay him to fix it for you.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

If you know which directory it's in open a command prompt and type cd <full directory name>
Example
cd C:\users\bob\desktop
Then type dir and then dir /X /N stare and compare if you see a short name (8.3) try removing the file using the shortname with

del <shortname>

Back
Top Bottom