KB2536276-v2
KB2539635
KB2572077
KB2518869
KB2586448
KB2556532
KB2560656
KB2552343

Things that I've tried but failed: (also good for others to try these first)
1) Reset and re-register Windows update (link)
2) Clean boot
3) Download and manually install the updates one at a time (Fail with no error code)
4) System Update Readiness tool
5) Use .NET setup verification tool (.NET ok) (link)
6) elevated cmd -> sfc /scannow (verfication ok)

What should I do??
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

80070308 Unknown Error is the most frustrating error!

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the log from the Update Readiness tool say?

Do you show any earlier failed updates that never installed?

Do you have a good internet connection?

All of these updates are for Win 7. Are you still getting updates for other things? How long has the problem been occurring and did you change anything around the time it started?

I can check your log if you want (no guarantees). Copy it to the Desktop then right click and send to compressed folder and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply. The file is the WindowsUpdate.log which you can type in the Start Menu search box and then copy from there. Be careful not to just copy a shortcut and the file is tool large to attach unless compressed.

The WindowsUpdate.log is in the Windows directory if you need that info.

If you don't wish to attach the entire file, open the WindowsUpdate.log and copy the last 3 or 4 days of entries at the bottom and paste into a notepad file and attach.

Log from SUR

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 13.0
2011-10-19 08:01

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 346
No errors detected

This started a few months ago but I routinely ignored them.
Some updates install fine, even the important ones. I removed the history from Windows Update so I don't know how to check which ones installed fine.

I don't remember changing anything major. Maybe I installed visual studio 2010.

I've attached the windowsupdate.log.txt for the last 2 that i tried.

Thanks!

At least 4 of those updates, I can identify as belonging to Net framework. Assuming you have it installed, go to programs and features, click one of the net framework programs you see there, and select repair. The process will take a while. After a rebooy, you will find you can install several, if not all, of the missing updates.

davehc, I repaired [Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile] and [Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended] but could not repair [Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack] It said no source found.
There are some ASP.NET MVC 2 which I can't repair for the same reason.

After rebooting, the same error occurs.
Any idea what to do next?

Thanks

Ok. That should have done the trick. It is a pity you have deleted your history, as I am wondering now, if the updates are not already installed. It has happened to me, on occasion, that a particular update is offered more than once

I am getting the following error in your log. Can you check to see if your system is setting restore points normally?

WARNING: failed to calculate prior restore point time with error 0x80070002

It should be in the System Properties Dialog - System Protection tab.

This may be related to a possible problem with the system being able to sync the updates so it knows what needs to be done. If you know of anything that might be restricting access, like an anti-virus, let us know.

Is your system clock OK? Looks like you log has quite a bit of 0100 time stamps. Are you staying up late, or is it a time difference?

It will take me some time to go through the log.

I went through and tried to find all the updates that are waiting to be installed. These are the ones that are getting the errors and will not complete. If you could check the status and see if you show some of these already installed, maybe we can compare them.

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2556532)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2564958)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2563894)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2567680)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2579686)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2570947)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2567053)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2536276)

Title = Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2560656)

Title = Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2563227)

Title = Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2570791)

Title = Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2011 (KB890830)

Title = Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x6 (KB2518869)

Title = Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Sy (KB2563894)

Title = Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x6 (KB2572077)

Title = Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Ser (KB2572078)

Title = Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2586448)

Title = Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2617986)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (KB2285068)
Edit: If you want to check what updates are installed, try opening a command prompt and type systeminfo Maybe this list does not depend on your update history. You also may be able to look at installed updates in the Windows Update Dialog window to see if it still contains the full list.

Last edited:
this has already been installed! Woo hoo! What's next?
Title = Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Ser (KB2572078)

I was hoping you would come back and say all the updates had been installed---wishful thinking, I suppose..

The error you show was defined as updates being out of sequence on one particular site, but not sure that is correct. I have also learned that on occasion, if an error is generated by a specific process, that a log of that process might give more information. So, if your updates are still not installing, perhaps go ahead and send me the CBS.log I mentioned and your WindowsUpdate.log in its entirety, or after the 19th at 9:00 P.M. Again, zip them up to send. If your bandwidth restrictions cause you problems, then just the WindowsUpdate.log newest portion. I do now have WinRAR installed. :)

If you could check your system for an individual log for a failed update, you might show some. So check the Windows directory, I believe, for a .log file with the KB number of an update that has failed. Maybe it will show something.

I will assume you are in the same time zone as Taipei, so your system clock is correct?

The .Net 3.5.1 updates might still be a problem. But 3.5.1 is built into Windows 7 and the verifier utility you used may not be able to check them. You also can't remove an update to try to get it to resync, at least as far as I know.

Anyway, I'll keep trying as long as you are willing.

That looks good for framework 4.
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Ser (KB2572078)

The other Net framework items:

Title = Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x6 (KB2518869)
Title = Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Sy (KB2563894
as you can see, are for 3.5.which, if I read yr post #5 correctly, you do not have installed?
Open Programs and features agian and, over on the left, click "Turn Windows Features on or off". See if you do indeed have it checked. If not do it. This will enable you to install these two. You may then find you can install the remianing security patches

Hopefully, more of your updates have installed by this time.

But I just did a reinstall to watch the updates. I hid all of the .Net 3.5.1 updates to see what would happen.

Of the 90 or so original updates, on the first round, 13 failed to install, but did install on the second round.

Of those 13, two are the same as you show as not having installed. KB2570947 (Win 7 Security) and KB2586448 (IE9 Security). Which might mean there were already installed. (I do not let IE9 install....)

You now show the first Win 7 Security update listed as having installed, which is a good sign. KB2572078 (.Net 4) supersedes KB2572077, which is a .Net 3.5.1 update.

Let us know when the Windows Update shows your system being up to date. :)

Hey thanks for trying it out
Some updates on what I have done so far
I've uninstalled both 'already installed' updates and they uninstalled without incident
After each one, i rebooted and tried to install any of the updates and they had the same error.
I then reinstalled both updates with reboots in between. They installed successfully but the new updates still had the same error
I'll try to send you both log files after attempting an install of all the updates.

I had adobe suite installed and for some reason it wasn't working well so i uninstalled it. (might not be related)
Restore point wasn't enabled at first. I've enabled it and tested it independently. It seems to work okay just by creating a restore point with the normal windows control panel method

I can now confirm the error 80070308 does mean a request was out of sequence. The CBS log shows the meaning.

I checked KB2586448 and the WindowsUpdate.log still shows the message below, numerous times, but the CBS log shows it installed. Seems more like your database has gotten out of sequence.

2011-10-23 02:17:28:723 Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. To install the updates, an administrator should log on to this computer and Windows will prompt with further instructions: - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2556532) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2564958) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2563894) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2567680) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2572077) - Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2518869) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2579686) - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2586448) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2539635) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2570947) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2567053) - Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based System

I have checked my logs and do not show any reference to needing an administrator to log on. It appears you have the settings to allow for non-admins to interact, so not sure why you are getting this message. The only thing I can think might be happening is that some updates require special permission, like IE9 and some of the malicious software tools. I believe the system is supposed to assume the admin identity to accomplish this, but not sure. If you can think of anything which might be causing it, let us know. You might even think about activating the REAL admin account and trying to install updates. Some folks even suggest installing updates in safe mode.

I am going to check some more things to see if I can find out why the database is not synchronized. But if you have not already renamed your SoftwareDistribution folder, we might consider that because your database seems to be messed up.

Hi Guys,

Back with some updates on this issue

I tried all the above suggestions including trying to tackle the out of sequence by uninstalling IE9 and my antivirus and reinstalling the IE8 patches etc.

None of them worked. In fact, I couldn't reinstall IE9 after installing it.

In the end, I had no choice but to do a in-place repair install with a Win7+SP1 disk
Details on how to do it are here: Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

In the process, it identified .NET 4 as the main culprit and fixed it.

I would like to thank everyone who has tried to help me, especially Saltgrass and davehc. You guys go the extra mile to help! Really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom