Windows 7 Unable to remove all remnants of deleted user account

alexberry

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). When I installed it on my new home-built PC, I entered the account name 'Admin' when prompted. This creates the default administrator account. I subsequently created two standard user accounts for me and my wife. However, I have since had problems with some software not installing properly for use with the standard user accounts, and was forced to change my standard user account into an administrator type.

That left me with two administrator accounts, Admin and mine. So I took the decision to delete the original Admin account. This has all worked fine, except I have been left with an annoying couple of folders associated with the Admin account that I can't remove. They are C:/users/Admin/AppData and both in Local and Roaming there are folders relating to Microsoft/Windows which I can't remove (it says I have insufficient privelege, or that they're part of a share.)

Any thoughts on how I clear out all remnants of this Admin account to leave my system clean with just the two account, mine (administrator) and my wife's?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). When I installed it on my new home-built PC, I entered the account name 'Admin' when prompted. This creates the default administrator account. I subsequently created two standard user accounts for me and my wife. However, I have since had problems with some software not installing properly for use with the standard user accounts, and was forced to change my standard user account into an administrator type.

That left me with two administrator accounts, Admin and mine. So I took the decision to delete the original Admin account. This has all worked fine, except I have been left with an annoying couple of folders associated with the Admin account that I can't remove. They are C:/users/Admin/AppData and both in Local and Roaming there are folders relating to Microsoft/Windows which I can't remove (it says I have insufficient privelege, or that they're part of a share.)

Any thoughts on how I clear out all remnants of this Admin account to leave my system clean with just the two account, mine (administrator) and my wife's?

several things to try
1-boot into safe mode (F8) and try to delete

2-boot from the win 7 dvd and while booting hit shift +F10 to get into a command prompt. from there navigate to the appropriate directories and try to delete. If that fails

3-download a 3rd party app called treesize pro form jam software. It will delete them from safe boot.

Good luck and let us know if you need further assistance

Ken J

Thanks Ken, the safe mode tip worked a treat... (Once I got past my mobo's bios, which also uses F8 for boot mode!)

Regards,

Alex.

Back
Top Bottom