Unable to upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by Algeralith, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Algeralith

Algeralith New Member

Hello, I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista, however when I attempt to do so I am met with the following error.

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• For these items, make the following changes:

• Install updated drivers for the following devices. Open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers".

• [*]Storage controllers: Adaptec SCSI Card 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
    I follow the directions and attempt to update my drivers, but when I do so, I am told that they are already up to date.

Does anyone happen to have a suggestion to fix this problem, or a way to circumvent it?

~Thanks

2. Taniel

Taniel New Member

I don't know what the driver is for, but if it's for something unnecessary, why don't you just uninstall it?

3. iroken22

iroken22 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Taniel suggestion is the best try uninstalling them and see if that works. Also go to the device manufacturers website and look for the most up-to-date driver and reinstall it.

4. Algeralith

Algeralith New Member

This driver is needed since the card is used to detect my Hard drive, so uninstalling it is not possible. Also, I have been to the manufacturer's website and have checked to make sure I have the latest drivers, which is also confirmed by Windows itself trying to update them.

5. iroken22

iroken22 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Well then i am afraid that you will be unable to update your version of windows to windows 7 rather you will have to do a clean install. I suggest backing up all files and folders and then install windows 7. When windows 7 installs reput the files and folders on then.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 New Member

Algeralith, the Beta of Windows 7 is not an 'upgrade'. It is for testing only. Not to mention, it will stop working on 08-01-09.

Get a second hard drive and install it there (on a non-29160 controller). If Adaptec does not have a driver for the 29160 that will work with Windows 7, then you are out of luck until you replace the drives and controller with something more suitable - or until Adaptec releases the drivers.

7. Algeralith

Algeralith New Member

I do understand its a beta and is not an upgrade for Vista, I am just interested in trying it out. The drivers do work when I use them as a clean install for Windows 7, however during a clean installation it has troubles completing once it reaches the "Completing Installation" phase, and just hangs there indefinitely.

I thought I would attempt installing a few installation of Vista and see if the Upgrade feature that Windows 7 has would work better, but that error shows up.

Unfortunately I do not have any other spare hard drives or adapter cards laying around, so I am out of luck.

~Thanks