Windows 7 Unbearably slow windows 7

changedsoul

I have a bit of a problem with a messed up windows 7 install and looking for someone with enough knowledge who might have come across this.

A coworker had a laptop running windows 7 home premium. Since Home Premium does not allow joining of a domain, he upgraded to professional. Problem came when he let someone else do the upgrade. They installed instead of upgraded which placed his old windows install into a few "folder_name".old folders. Well this was unsatisfactory for him since now all his old program were inaccessible.

He came to me and I said I would see what I could do. Well after searching I found I was able to rename the current "Windows", "Program files", "program data", etc folders to something else, and the .old folders back to original names, and run a few command line commands and was able to boot back up into his old Windows 7 Home Premium again.

I then did an actual upgrade which left all his programs intact and upgraded him to professional.

The problem is, after going through all this mess, something must have gotten jazzed because this computer is so unbelievably slow.

Literally the boot is close to 10 min. Looking at the c:\ drives, I noticed now there are multiples of "Program files" "Program data" and a few others. launching and running simple programs takes forever.

There is now CPU activity, no HDD acctivity, the computer just sits and sits, then does something, then sits and sits.

Please, can anyone help me solve this issue. Reinstatement is a fear because he has some programs on there he needs but no longer has an install disk for them.

I have a bit of a problem with a messed up windows 7 install and looking for someone with enough knowledge who might have come across this.

A coworker had a laptop running windows 7 home premium. Since Home Premium does not allow joining of a domain, he upgraded to professional. Problem came when he let someone else do the upgrade. They installed instead of upgraded which placed his old windows install into a few "folder_name".old folders. Well this was unsatisfactory for him since now all his old program were inaccessible.

He came to me and I said I would see what I could do. Well after searching I found I was able to rename the current "Windows", "Program files", "program data", etc folders to something else, and the .old folders back to original names, and run a few command line commands and was able to boot back up into his old Windows 7 Home Premium again.

I then did an actual upgrade which left all his programs intact and upgraded him to professional.

The problem is, after going through all this mess, something must have gotten jazzed because this computer is so unbelievably slow.

Literally the boot is close to 10 min. Looking at the c:\ drives, I noticed now there are multiples of "Program files" "Program data" and a few others. launching and running simple programs takes forever.

There is now CPU activity, no HDD acctivity, the computer just sits and sits, then does something, then sits and sits.

Please, can anyone help me solve this issue. Reinstatement is a fear because he has some programs on there he needs but no longer has an install disk for them.

Hi,

try this advanced disk cleaner as it removes old installation files too.

Right click cmd prompt and run as admin. Type:

cleanmgr/sageset:1

Press enter and you'll see a disk clean box appear but with far more cleaning alternatives. Tick all the boxes and click ok.

Now the cleaner has been set up you need only to type the following to get it to run. Run admin cmd prompt as before, type:

cleanmgr/sagerun:1

Press enter and the cleaner will run. You might benefit from running the system file checker but see how you are after the above..

When you upgraded from one version of Windows 7 to another, did you use the Windows Anytime Upgrade Option?

Hi,

try this advanced disk cleaner as it removes old installation files too.

Right click cmd prompt and run as admin. Type:

cleanmgr/sageset:1

Press enter and you'll see a disk clean box appear but with far more cleaning alternatives. Tick all the boxes and click ok.

Now the cleaner has been set up you need only to type the following to get it to run. Run admin cmd prompt as before, type:

cleanmgr/sagerun:1

Press enter and the cleaner will run. You might benefit from running the system file checker but see how you are after the above..

Ill give it a try tomorrow and see if it does anything. Thanks for the tip.

When you upgraded from one version of Windows 7 to another, did you use the Windows Anytime Upgrade Option?
Yes, the last time that actually upgraded to Professional was through the Anytime Upgrade. But the first attempt from someome who didnt know what they were doing messed it up and i did my best to bring it back.

I have tried the suggestion along with many others without success. I think nothing short of a fresh install will fix this problem. Thanks for all your help though.

Back