Windows 7 Unexpected BSOD results in crash dump

Soulpeddler

I have windows 7 64 running on a MSI 760gm-p23 with AMD FX6100 8gb 1333 ddr3 Thermaltake 750w and a Sapphire r9 270x. I have been getting BSOD sometimes and cannot find the issue. I have all the current drivers I can locate. Tried multiple drivers for vid card. I tried to install a Sapphire R9290x and receive BSOD way more often so I reinstalled the 270x. I am uploading dump files in hopes someone can help.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    514.6 KB · Views: 273
Are there any severe changes to your machine recently? Like changing a processor's clock or fumbling with your Windows' registry? Otherwise I would try to clean my system from past uninstallation traces (any registry or driver cleaner will do correctly if you check its settings carefully) because old files can interfere with new ones!

When exactly do your encounter a BSOD? If you want to share current which application's usage this occurs, we may be able to find a solution quicker.

sincerely

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {41284, 1fbab001, 16f, fffff70001080000}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4ad3 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
You have Bugchecks for memory management (above), Bugcheck 124 Hardware error, Bugcheck 24 which is NTFS related although by far the most are Bugcheck 124.
To be honest you aren't the first person I've seen with this issue and with the same cards too. We need to run some tests to make sure everything is as it should be.
If your overclocking then stop and return to default values.

Check your GPU's memory by running this application (I'd test both cards)
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

If your running SSD's make sure they are updated to the latest firmware and then run a chkdsk.

Your dump file suggests you may have some corruption within the os. Find command prompt and right click on it. Choose properties then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Update things like browsers as I've known this to be a cause.

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

How old is the PSU?

Oh and i moved your post to the correct section.

Are there any severe changes to your machine recently? Like changing a processor's clock or fumbling with your Windows' registry? Otherwise I would try to clean my system from past uninstallation traces (any registry or driver cleaner will do correctly if you check its settings carefully) because old files can interfere with new ones!

When exactly do your encounter a BSOD? If you want to share current which application's usage this occurs, we may be able to find a solution quicker.

sincerely
I built the machine a few months ago. The first BSOD happened while playing ESO. It was happening frequently until I did a complete reinstall of windows 7 an then ESO. After that they have been completely random. Sometimes playing a game sometimes playing online content and some times viewing multiple pages. I did try to overclock but never with any stable success and went right back to factory settings. Currently no OC with the exception of the R9 270x which is OC from factory.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {41284, 1fbab001, 16f, fffff70001080000}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4ad3 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
You have Bugchecks for memory management (above), Bugcheck 124 Hardware error, Bugcheck 24 which is NTFS related although by far the most are Bugcheck 124.
To be honest you aren't the first person I've seen with this issue and with the same cards too. We need to run some tests to make sure everything is as it should be.
If your overclocking then stop and return to default values.

Check your GPU's memory by running this application (I'd test both cards)
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

If your running SSD's make sure they are updated to the latest firmware and then run a chkdsk.

Your dump file suggests you may have some corruption within the os. Find command prompt and right click on it. Choose properties then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Update things like browsers as I've known this to be a cause.

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

How old is the PSU?

Oh and i moved your post to the correct section.
I have run memtest and found no errors. I have no OC except the R9 270x which is factory OC. I have a 7200 rpm HDD. Interesting fact I wanted to upgrade to a SSD so I bought one and did fresh install ow Windows 7 and made sure all drivers are updated. The system ran fine but FPS are extremely low for some reason. I have both the HDD and SSD in the PC and boot from one to the other. I tried installing the R 9 290x in hopes it would work but still crashed very frequently. I also dont know why the FPS dropped so severely with the same setup from HDD to SSD. I have been running the HDD because of the better vid quality? I have had reservations of running a registry cleaner. It seems when downloading any I get much more than just the cleaner and didn't want to screw up the registry. I have tried on many occasions system restore. I will try the GPU memtest but not sure thats the issue. I had the R( 290x RMA and when it came back still have the same issue. The PSU is new Its 80 plus gold thermaltake at 750w. I leaning to the PSU not having enough power but I dont have alot of other hardware installed. I did run a health check and all the crashes resulted from GPU driver stoopped working. I have tried all the latest drivers and some old ones even different card bios. Wasn't sure the driver stopped working was a result of the crash or weather it caused it. I have been using firefox and it is updated but it also crashes often

There could have been a number of reasons why the SSD gave low FPS and video quality should be no different from either HDD or SSD. Did you change the mode over to ACHI or was it left on IDE?
The tests I posted above are there so you can check each component if only to eliminate it from the picture. Troubleshooting can be a long road and any information gleaned about what does and what doesn't have an issue is invaluable.
I totally agree about Registry cleaners which is why i would never recommend anybody using one.
The SFC scan is important as it will give you an idea on the state on your system files.
Please post the results of your Memtest86 and how long it was run for.

Back