Windows 10 Unexpected Store Exception and Critical Process Died

retroberrii

About a week ago I got the Unexpected Store Exception BSOD, the very first BSOD I had gotten in almost two years of owning the computer. Following this, I would frequently get both this and Critical Process Died. I tried every solution I could find online, including uninstalled my antivirus, updated drivers, diskcheck, sfc scannow, ccleaner, windows defender. Every test/scan came back clean with no problems, culminating in a full factory reset of the computer. The problem always came back. I upgraded to Windows 10 the day it launched and this is the first time I've had any problems. I view the error log after each occurrence. Unexpected Store Exception says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." And gives the following codes when I check the details, the source was kernel power and the event id was 41.

BugcheckCode 340
BugcheckParameter1
0xffffe0012b23d000
BugcheckParameter2
0xffffd000d7287080
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0

Critical Process died says "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ef (0xffffe0011f7bd080, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)." The source was bugcheck and the event code was 1001.

Hi retroberi! You came to the right place. Windows Forum has the best BSOD tech on the web. Just be patient and @kemical will help you with your BSODs. Everyone here is a volunteer and we help here because we enjoy sharing our knowledge with others.
@kemical will answer your thread when he can. Just be patient!;)

Hi retroberri,
hmm... not too sure about being the best bsod tech but I will try and help.. :) (thanks for the kind words Gary)

In order for us to help you best we need to see your dump files (if you have any). If your settings are correct then a dump file will be created at the time of BSOD and stored in a folder marked 'Minidump' in the main Windows folder. In fact this thread will help you collect the data we need and how to set up the machine to produce dump files:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
(make sure you run the app contained in the above thread as admin)

If you have to change your settings then chances are you won't have dump files until you bsod again.

In the meantime try running these scans:
(I know you already ran the SFC but try again coupled with another scan:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Once you do have some dump files simply zip them up, unless the app has already done it for you and post.

Thank you very much for helping. This is the dump log you asked for, and I'm going to try running the scans now. I'll let you know how it goes.

*EDIT* Uploaded a second dump log because I got a bsod in the middle of the first sfc scan. Also out of curiosity since I've seen it said both ways, would you recommend runnign the sfc scan in safe mode, or he regular mode?

Attachments

• W7F_26-04-2016.zip
    488.3 KB · Views: 410
  • W7F_26-04-2016 (2).zip
    568 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 154, {ffffe000ba80a000, ffffd00021376080, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!SMKM_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::SmStUnhandledExceptionFilter+22 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have two types of Bugcheck. Bugcheck EF meaning a critical process died and the above which means the store caught an exception which may be caused by a third party driver. Normally i would advise to run the above scans so please ensure that that you do run them.
Driver wise you don't appear to be in too bad a shape although I'm a little suspicious of a network driver:

DellRbtn.sys Fri Aug 03 22:32:54 2012: OSR Open Systems Resources Airplane Mode Switch Driver. You do have a later version available on your systems support page. Please remove the original driver first before installing the new version. You'll find it under Windows 10 64bit Network section:
Product Support | Dell US

If after running the above scans and changing the driver the bsod continues then you'll need to run the driver verifier. This stress's drivers on start up and can induce them to bsod catching the culprits name on a dump file. The only downside to this is that sometimes it can lead to a bsod start up loop. If this happens you will need to boot into safe mode to turn the verifier off.
The trouble is with Windows 10 is safe mode isn't easy to access unless you have a recovery disk/USB. You can boot from this and then enter safe mode.
So if the bsod continues create a recovery disk/USB
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -
Run the verifier:
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Post any new dump files.

I wasn't able to find the scan results, but I took a picture of the cmd after the scans and sent it with the latest dump file, since I got several crashes during and after the scans. I just uninstalled the driver as well, so I will wait and see if that solved it. If not, I'll run the verifier and upload any further dump logs just in case. If the airplane mode driver only affects airplane mode, I may just leave it uninstalled for now as I have no real need of it at the moment and would just like to be done with this issue.

Attachments

• W7F_26-04-2016.zip
    808 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffe0000e1977c0, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : svchost.exe

Hi,
all three dump files were the same and mean a critical process died. svchost.exe is a general name used multiple times for individual services
These services can be viewed if you open Task manager look under Processes and click the arrow next to each svchost.exe. You can also use an excellent application called Process explorer:
Process Explorer

As you've since removed the driver specified in the post above I'll await your next update.

Hello again. I haven't had a single crash since following your advice, so I consider the issue solved. Thank you very much for your help.

Hey that's great! Thanks for the update Retroberri, please post back if issues should return.

Thanks for the kind words Gary but honestly I'm nowhere near the best. People like John Griff or John Corona are the best... :)

Your welcome! John Griff is excellent. Don't know the other John. I'm replying on the other BSOD thread you are helping on
I have been following that thread every sense I first registered on the forum. I'm thinking that MSE is causing the BSODs that Bawb is having.
I hope I'm not stepping on you!

Hi guys, I've actually been having a very similar issue along with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. Should I post my dump files here or should I make my own thread for this? Sorry, I'm a new member here.

Hi Shinigami! It's always best to start your own thread. When you post on another members thread; it's considered Hi-Jacking and frowned on!
We have the best BSOD tech on the web. Please start your own thread and post your dump files on the new thread. We all are volunteers here, so be patient and someone will help you when they can. Please realize that we are all on different time zones. You will get the best help here!
Welcome to Windows Forum! have you done the things recommended in Reply #3 ??

I'll definitely start my own thread then, thanks! I did try both the sfc scan and the restore health scan, but both failed. I'm currently waiting on a memory diagnostic to finish and then I'll create the thread.

OK ! Some times the sfc /scannow needs to run at least 3 times to fix all the corrupted files. You need to restart after each scan
Great idea to run a memory diagnostic. You might think about Memstest 86 later. Please wait for @kemical for further advise!
MemTest86 - Download now!

I'll definitely start my own thread then, thanks! I did try both the sfc scan and the restore health scan, but both failed. I'm currently waiting on a memory diagnostic to finish and then I'll create the thread.
Hi,
I'll look for your post. Thanks for creating your own thread.

Hello again. On Saturday I started getting the crashes again. I'm posting this dump log just in case anything has changed before running the driver verifier. Also I don't know if this could have caused it, but because I did it earlier the same day I want to mention it just in case. I followed the directions in the second post of this thread: How to make Sims 3 use > 4GB of RAM to try and let my Sims game use more ram. My husband pointed out that messing around in the cmd could cause errors like this, so I immediately uninstalled the program and deleted the effected files. I got the first bsod about 8 hours later, so just in case they are connected you can see what I did. I just finished rerunning the two scans you recommended last time, and am running the drive verifier now.

*EDIT* I ran the drive verifier and have also attached the minidump file. I removed all CyberLink programs from my computer because when I looked up that driver it said that was what it was related to.

Attachments

• W7F_02-05-2016.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 423
  • 050216-17171-01.zip
    46 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff800e23a4d21, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for CLVirtualDrive.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for CLVirtualDrive.sys
Probably caused by : CLVirtualDrive.sys ( CLVirtualDrive+4d21 )

Hi,
most of the dumps were bugcheck EF meaning a critical process died although further information was unavailable. Running the verifier was exactly the right thing to do and it did indeed catch a driver trying to corrupt the system:

CLVirtualDrive.sys Mon Dec 26 13:26:47 2011: CyberLink Virtual Device Driver. This is a little old for Windows 10. Please either remove or update although I see from your post that you have already removed said driver.

Good job by the way and if the bsod's return then please post any new dump files.

Hi. We did immediately remove all Cyberlink programs, but I just got another BSOD. This was an Unexpected_Store_Exception one. I'm including the dump file here.

Attachments

• W7F_02-05-2016.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 431
Back