Windows 7 "Unidentified Network" "Local Access"

freewheelin_76

If anyone is having this problem where the network shows up as unidentified and you have local access only its most likely because you let your computer go into "Sleep" mode. This was a common problem for people in Vista and it still seems to be an issue in Windows 7. I had to disable sleep mode on all my machines running 7. The only way I could "fix" this problem after it had happened was to shutdown the computer and remove the power cable for a few minutes to power down the LAN.

Also can't restore Connection. Another situation.

Any help is appreciated. I too can not restore my internet connection under Win7. I have tried every solution I could Google (from XP) and nothing works. My configuration is different but the result is the same, so maybe this will provide some clues for a proper answer.

I do NOT have a "wireless" connection. My DSL modem is connected directly to the Ethernet port on my MoBo. When I check my Network settings, it shows "Unidentified Network". I've tried powering off/on the Router, disabling/enabling IPv6 and the Windows Firewall. The automatic Windows Network Repair service has been unable to resolve the problem (but gives me the option of "going online for more assistance". How stupid is that?) I've also tried to recreate my Internet Connection, and even going into "Services" and disabled "IP Helper" for each connection (another failed solution found online). Nothing works.

Here is (essentially) what happened:

I use a 4-port hub that connects both my PC and an old Win98 notebook. Both use a stardard Cat-5 cable connection (NOT wireless). I dual-boot XP and Win7 on the same PC, and only keep the notebook around for emergencies.

I was reinstalling XP after a crash and went online with the notebook so I could fix XP and search the Net at the same time.

At one point, I rebooted my PC and launched Win7. As the Win7 desktop was loading, I realized I would not be able to connect if the notebook was already connected, so I shutdown the notebook after Win7 had already started. I then tried to go online from Win7 but couldn't. I rebooted and restarted Win7, but I still could not connect to the Internet.

This is just speculation on my part, but I think Win7 detected the notebook and automaticly reconfigured my network. (I tried shuting down, booting the notebook and going back online with it, then rebooting Win7, but still could not access the Net from Win7. I can go online with both the notebook and XP with no problem, so the hardware is fine.)

The Device Manager in Win7 shows everything is connected and working. I have tried recreating my connection, but nothing works. I'm completely stumped. I've even tried to do a "Repair" from the Win7 Install DVD, but it finds nothing wrong (there does not appear to be a "Repair Install" under Win7 like there is in XP.)

Short of reinstalling Win7 from scratch, I can't figure how how to fix this. Any ideas, anyone?

Same happened to me with 7022, but the reason was that every boot, wireless network props forgot default gateway values (appeared blank), but with 7048 this seems to be fixed.

Download?

Interesting. Mine still lists itself as "7000".

I wonder if it is possible to download 7048 as a separate file that I can use to update my installation?

AFAIK no.
Have to dl the whole iso and install OVER your w7 installation. The new one will save your previous w7 installation as c:\windows.old with everything inside.
What I do is dl new ISO, extract all files with winrar to USB disk (bootable, but I don't install from boot), then I log in actual version of w7, and install new version of w7 in laptop without burning new dvd...

I'll try that.

Thanks. I'll try that.

I'll let you know if it works. Fingers crossed.

AFAIK no.
Have to dl the whole iso and install OVER your w7 installation. The new one will save your previous w7 installation as c:\windows.old with everything inside.
What I do is dl new ISO, extract all files with winrar to USB disk (bootable, but I don't install from boot), then I log in actual version of w7, and install new version of w7 in laptop without burning new dvd...
Miracle of miracles, it worked (in fact, I'm using Win7 now).
I found a copy of 7048 in the Usenet (newsgroups) and did an "Upgrade" install from the Win7 desktop. It accepted the same key from before, reinstalled Windows and fixed my network in the process.

7048 also seems less buggy (so far, it's only been 2 hours) and might actually be closing in on an acceptable OS. :eek:

Thanks for the help getting back online (though I never did figure out exactly what went wrong in the first place, so let's hope it doesn't happen again.)

(ADDENDUM: Just read 7057 has already "leaked", and talk of "Windows 8" has already begun.) :-/

Last edited:
Miracle of miracles, it worked (in fact, I'm using Win7 now).
I found a copy of 7048 in the Usenet (newsgroups) and did an "Upgrade" install from the Win7 desktop. It accepted the same key from before, reinstalled Windows and fixed my network in the process.

Good to know. And yes, last night I installed 7057 and seems to work fine (I'm testing in a "old" laptop with Intel [email protected], 2 Gb and ATI X600). Next "leaked" version I'll try to update.(pretty sure M$ guys do the "leak" to add free-betatesters to his product)

I am using build 7100 RC on an X58 Gigabyte mobo. Users of this board seem to have a problem getting NIC to work. I don't know if any ever do. But I figured someone here must know some way to make it work. All I have done so far is installed the drivers of the GB disk. In experimenting, however, I have deleted everything under the adapter settings properties, thinking when I rebooted it would all reappear. I don't know anything about that stuff at all and I have no idea if I need that stuff or not. But right now, I'd settle for some NIC action. Why is this so hard?

I am using build 7100 RC on an X58 Gigabyte mobo. Users of this board seem to have a problem getting NIC to work. I don't know if any ever do. But I figured someone here must know some way to make it work. All I have done so far is installed the drivers of the GB disk. In experimenting, however, I have deleted everything under the adapter settings properties, thinking when I rebooted it would all reappear. I don't know anything about that stuff at all and I have no idea if I need that stuff or not. But right now, I'd settle for some NIC action. Why is this so hard?
It is not hard at all to make a homenetwork using Win 7 RC (or Beta) or join an existing Homenetwork.
I have a Homenetwork of win 7 7100 RC, WinXPPro SP3, Win2Ksp4 and Linux and I can share files and printers amongst them back and forth. It needs the hardware [ NIC or Wireless Network Adapter ( PCI/Express card/ or USB) or both & Router ( wired or wireless) , The drivers for the network cards for each OS in their Respective PC ( for Win 7 it can be Vista) and to view the other PCs in each PC use the Control Panel >Network & Sharing Center in Win 7 to configure them and Network setup Wizard for Win XP /2K and SAMBA in Linux. You have to configure your Router Wired or Wireless to assign IP numbers for the networked computers in a certain range . You may use the software CD from the Router manufacturer but I like to use Windows own software. I know this is not a comprehensive step -by step appraoch but a general outline about Homenetworking. All networked Computers must have same workgroup in homenetworking. Homegroup is not Homenetwork. HOMEGROUP is a subgruop where all Computers have Win 7 OS. You can have both Homenetworking and Homegroup in the same mix but if you don't have Homenetwork with same workgroup name ( mine is MSHOME) you will have hard time seeing networked computers in the "Network" in Win 7 or My Network Places in Win XP and Computers Near Me in Win 2K or SAMMBA>Workgroup in LINUX
Most common problem I see here (and in any forums) is the reluctance on the part of help seekers to give enough system information and /or explain their problems in detail in words and if needed using images so the helper can fully understand all sides of the problem. Most often they have the information and used them already in their own unsuccessful efforts to solve the problem but either don't think it is necessary or unwilling to share detailed Device information ( like make & model) which I don't see infringing on privacy. In a one -on -one direct talk /Chat through messengers in my experience, I don't see these barriers for communicating back and forth. But the lack of privacy and the lack of trust between the help seeker and help giver might be a factor in this type of Forum troubleshoot.

If you need help post details of your NICs, the type of Router ( Make and model) etc and I will be happy to help.

Attached is the JPG image of my homenetwork of 7 Computers

Last edited:
Verified the Cause...

***REALLY SOLVED THIS TIME! - VERIFIED CAUSE***

Check to see if you have this little devil in your services list:

"##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762 ##"

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

Hope that helps! I haven't had issues since...
:razz:

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...another reason to hate the French? LOL

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2
NIC: Marvell Yukon 8E8056; driver v10.69.2.3 (4/21/2009)
***fyi - i did update the default Windows driver with this, Vista x64 driver

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2
Adobe CS3 (updated current)

Many thanks. If this works then it will remove a constant source of frustration. I will report back in a few days. It seems a little unfair to blame the French for Apple software but I'm not going to argue.

ASUS P5Q-E
4GB Corsair Ram
NIC: Marvell Yukon 8E8056 driver 10.68.3.3

I have to chime in here as this AM I got the "Unidentified Network" error on my main rig. I am using a Motorola SBG900 cable modem/router/wireless network (all in one). I had to use my daughters i-touch to access the wireless modem as I sat here with a big yellow triangle over my internet tray icon. Freaked out, I read all these posts on this forum related to NOT having an internet connection and tried EVERY single one of them with NO success. 3 hours into it, I readied my Win7 RC 7100 disk for a new install with no hair left. How is it possible that the stupid apple i-Touch can get internet but I can't? I paced the room several times thinking, do I really need a new NIC? It appeared that the modem and the computer were talking every time I reset it. My Gigabyte mobo reported a connection in the bios, what gives? I turned off the computer to what may have been the 100th time this morning, put the Win7 dvd in my hand and stood there with smoke coming out of my ears; bonjour, IPv6, ipconfig /release, blah, blah, blah....tried them all except ONE last SOLUTION which was to TURN THE POWER OFF TO THE PC; and I am not talking about a reset or restart as that didn't work either. I turned OFF the power strip to the computer which is basically the same as unplugging it from the WALL. Cold restart and here I am, posting this message. Please people, before you do what I did for 3 hours (now I need a nap) straight, KILL THE POWER to your PC, even if it means REMOVING the battery and see if that doesn't help FIRST.

Thank you,
Peace out.

Last edited:
GOOD POINT PCmech! I had the same kind of problem a couple of years ago when I was playing with Linux with virtual machines. I never did get them to work wirelessly, but even when connected by ethernet, I had to unplug the computer and replug it and restart to get ethernet OR wireless back online in XP. It is a good idea to turn off and unplug a computer every several days just to clear out old junk that doesn't get cleared with a simple reboot.

Thanks!

Worked for me! Before I found this, I felt so alone ...:(

kind regards

Miche

If you do, stop it and disable it. It is actually the Bonjour DNS Responder Service, and I believe it is the cause of the "Unidentified Network."

The Unidentified Network disappeared after stopping this service and a quick disable/enable of the NIC, restoring Internet access.

I Actually just rebooted, edited this post, and then re-enabled the offensive service to see what would happen...Immediately after enabling the NIC and this bastard service, the "Unidentified Network" returned...stopped it, disabled it, disable/enable NIC...Internet back up and running and no "Unidentified Network." (woot - woot!)

FYI - I experienced this in both build 7100 and 7127...I am running 7127 now x64 - and discovered this fix just last night...so far so good just rebooted and then edited this post...I believe this fix will solve 7100 build issues too; however... I have not tested 7100 again yet.

...I also re-enabled Win 7's Discovery Mapping services, but always leave IPv6 disabled just because I am not using it.

...another two reboots, and a hard disk addition, and no problems with the Internet! - If you tried another fix such as changing the address of your network adapter, under "Advanced" - this is not necessary...I set mine back to "Not Configured." Everything is working fine as long as the Bonjour service is not running...another reason to hate the French? LOL

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600

For the record, there is some blame pointing towards the following software, of which I do have installed and running properly:
Office 2007 SP2

I was pulling me hair on this one too. What I had done prior to trying to connect through cat 5 was having it wirelessly connected. At the time I set up wireless connection, I had MAC address filtering enabled. This is a DIR-625 and i had to go in to the router and disable the MAC addressing so I could stop receiving the error and IT WORKED!

Hope this works for someone else.

My system:
ASUS P5E
Quad Core Q6600

Office 2007 SP2

I had to create an account just so I could say thankyou. Thank you so much. Wish I would've found it earlier.

Same"unidentified network" problem here on Win 7x64 ... au revoir, bonjour! Solved the problem nicely. Thanks!

A liitle extra help for the PC illiterate:

1. Hit start and open "Control Panel"
2. Click "Administrative Tools" and then "Services"
3. You will see ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B8 79762 ## near the top of the list
4. Click on it to highlight and then click "Stop the service" in the left-hand sidebar
5. Right click on the service and hit "Properties". Change the "Startup Properties" to "Disabled". Hit "Apply"
6. Reboot ... and you're freakin' golden!

Thanks again guys.

The Easiest Way To Solve This Proplem!

1. Open Command Prompt. (Start -> Search '' cmd '' -> Press Enter)
  2. Type '' ipconfig /renew '' .
  3. Press Enter.
  4. DONE! =]

Back