Windows 7 Unidentified Network - No Network Access

DigiVamp

Hi,

About a month back my motherboard died and I had to get a new one (ECS - GeForce 6100PM-M2).
Prior to the death of the old MoBo, I was connected via a wired connection to my cable router. When I replaced the MoBo, I now get a message telling me the ethernet cable is connected to an unidentified network with no network access. I've borrowed a wireless dongle which lets me connect fine but I want to return to the wired connection.

I've searched so many online forums and tried enough possible solutions over the last month that my brain hurts and I'm losing faith in my ability to fix my desktop.

I've attached a screenshot of my 'ipconfig /all' (the wired connection is on Local Area Connection 2)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kev

Attachments

• IPCONFIG.gif
    IPCONFIG.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 906
DigiVamp;
Hello and welcome to the forums. I see from the screen shot that you've already disabled IPv6, but your NIC is not getting any ip information from whatever is providing DHCP on your network (probably your router). I don't know what you've attempted to this point, so I would suggest, that since your wireless card seems to work fine, that you get the ipconfig /all information from that connection and write down the ipaddress, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server information. Then remove the wireless dongle, and type ncpa.cpl in the search box and in the resultant page right click on your local area connection (Wired Adapter) and choose properties, (uncheck IPv6 if it's not already unchecked) select IPv4 and click properties button then manually assign the information according to the notes you made from the other device and see if that makes any difference. Normally I would suggest assigning a static address outside the scope of the DHCP address that the DHCP server is handing out, so it won't conflict in the future. You can examine that information from within the router's web interface if you're familiar with how DHCP works. Let us know if this works for you.

Hi Trouble,

Firstly thanks for responding.
I reran the ipconfig /all with the wireless dongle attached and screen shot the results. Then I copied the settings in the IPv4 properties for my local area connection. (I tried this with and without the wireless dongle attached)
Unfortunately neither of these resovled the issue.

I logged into my router (A Netgear WNR2000 model) but I'm not sure where to look for any useful information.
Also I'm not sure how DHCP works so am not sure how to identify a static address outside the range used by my ISP (VirginMedia)

Kind Regards,

Kev

Attached.

Kind Regards,

Kev

[EDIT] Sorry the first posts' attachment was wired card only, this posts' attachment is wireless card only.

Attachments

• IPCONFIG2.gif
    IPCONFIG2.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 660
No, I want to see the actual screen shot of the Wired card, that should reflect your static entries.

Sorry if I'm not quite sure what you're after I've attached a third screenshot, hoping this is what you are looking for but if not pls could you provide idiot proof steps on how I get the information you need.

Thanks

Kev

Attachments

• IPCONFIG3.gif
    IPCONFIG3.gif
    35.8 KB · Views: 620
The wired still has an APIPA address, this won't work. It needs to have a statically assigned address in keeping with the rest of your network environment, try this, under the properties of ipV4 please set the ip address as 192.168.1.254, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 the default gateway has to be 192.168.1.1 the preferred DNS as 192.168.1.1 preferred and 8.8.8.8 alternate set those all manually by checking the radio button "Use the following IP address:" and "Use the following DNS server adresses: let us know.

Followed the instructions but still nothing.
I did get a message when I confirmed the two preferred DNS addresses about them pointing to two disjointed networks such as an intranet and an internet connection at the same time was a bad thing.

Rgrds,

Kev

Disable the wireless card or remove it if it's usb. Post an ipconfig /all of the wired card in your next post. In the mean time, with only the wired card connected ping 192.168.1.1 and post the results. Ping 64.233.169.99 post the results. Ping www.google.com post the results. Again with only the wired connection enabled, post a screen shot of the Network and Sharing Center, and with only the wired connection enabled, right click on the network icon near the clock in the system tray and choose to trouble shoot problems.

Hi Trouble,

IPCONFIG4.gif is the shot of Wired Only Connected
PING.gif is the results of all three ping tests one after another
NASC.gif is the shot of the Network & Sharing Centre

I ran the trouble shooter guide, first response is "troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem", when I click on explore additional options I get the standard set of 'search help and support', 'windows communities' etc etc

Rgrds

Kev

Attachments

• IPCONFIG4.gif
    IPCONFIG4.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 527
  • Ping.gif
    Ping.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 553
  • NASC.gif
    NASC.gif
    86.7 KB · Views: 661
Kev:
Obviously, since you can't even ping your router there is something bad wrong with the NIC. You need first of all to change the network in the Network and sharing center to private and see if that helps. A quick fix of course would be to temporarily disable the windows firewall for public and private and domain if present just to check. Let us know if you can get this done. Also if you have any third party firewalls or internet security suites installed on this machine try uninstalling them temporarily until we can get this resolved.

I've opened the network and sharing centre but I'm unable to change the unidentified network into a private or home network.
Assuming that with the wireless network the line that says home network is a link that allows you to change the network type, when I try this with the wired network, the network type is not a link so I am unable to change it.

I've turned off the windows firewall to both private and public networks. This did not have any effect other than the usual host of warning messages about turning off a firewall.
I only use the windows firewall and a stand alone anti-virus called Avast, so there are no other firewalls to test.

Disable or unplug the wireless device and in the network and sharing center try the "Set up new connection or network" wizard and see if that works. Make sure you set it up as private / home . Let us know

Trying to create a new network connection did not work as the wizard could not detect my router.

My antivirus runs a scheduled scan each Friday evening and when nearly complete it asks for a reboot to scan something as it reboots. The virus as usual found nothing but the act of rebooting seems to have done something, as my wired connection is now working.

I'm guessing this was something that we changed based on your first few posts, but I was disabling then enabling the wireless connection to make it try and re-detect the router. I think if I had been rebooting each time instead I would have reached your solution much quicker.

Many thanks for your help,

Kev

I've rebooted a couple of times and done a cold boot and it seems to be stable *crosses fingers*.

Again thanks so much, a month of trying everything and getting no where was doing my head in.

Kev

OK, so it's working now, with the wired connection?
Make sure you turn back on the firewalls, update antivirus and run windows update and if more problems occur let us know

Back