Windows 10 Unsure if I'm running Anniv. Edition

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
Hello again. Sorry to keep pestering you guys, but you've been so helpful. Here's a minor problem: I recently restored my computer to an earlier date (12 Dec.), which fixed a problem with Cortana. Now, when I look at "system"all it tells me is that I'm running Windows 10 Home. Previously, as I recall, it told me the version also (I think it was 1607). Now that info doesn't appear. All updates appear to be current. How can I tell which version I'm running? Thanks again.

BTW, Cortana died again. Appears that might have been caused by some recent cumulative updates. I'm not going to worry about that, but I'll miss the search box, which is also dead.

Last edited:
This site is here to answer questions so no need to feel like you're pestering anyone. Version 1607 is the anniversary build (Build 14393). If you press [windows key + r] and type winver you can see your version.

Tanks again, Neemorebeer. You've been very helpful, and I'm learning rapidly. Yes,it shows I do have the updated OS. Funny, though that it used to show up when I opened "system" on control panel.

Well, I went ahead and reset my computer last night (i.e. reinstalled the OS) since it was doing some other strange things. I think it may have had a virus that slipped in past my security. Any how, it's back to running normally again. This forum has been great and you guys rock! :up:

Last edited:
Hi

Now that you have your computer reset, once you have all your software installed and everything working correctly create a System Backup Image so that if anything goes wrong you don't have to reset your computer again.

Instead you can make newer Image Files from time to time when your computer is running great and always be able to restore to that point.

There are a lot of alternatives as to software to do this, but I use EaseUS Todo Backup Software.
It's free and works really well, and for me has been 100% reliable.

Here is what you need to know.

You have to save your Image file on a drive other then the drive that Windows is on.
If you only have one hard drive you can create a partition on that drive to save your backups on.

An external hard drive is a good option if you only have one internal drive.

Once the software is installed, use the utility in the program to create a boot-able DVD that you can use to boot your computer if it crashes and can't be restarted.

You will need somewhere near the size of the used space on your C:\ drive to save the Image.

Once you have the Image File made and and have your boot DVD you can recover you computer from any kind of software issue or malware without having to reinstall Windows and have you computer back to just how it was when you backed it up.

Download free data backup software - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

I have a steak dinner coming from a friend of mine who messed up his computer and lost everything on his C:\ drive last week.

When he called me he was really freaked out, he was sure he had lost everything.

I asked him where the boot disk was that we had made when we updated his computer to Windows Anniversary, (of course he didn't know, so we had to download and reinstall the Todo software on his computer to make a new Recovery Disk) once he had the disk I instructed him over the phone to put it in his computer and boot it up.

The Backup was on his external hard drive so once he had that turned on he found the backup file that we had made, from the software on the boot disk and started the restore process.

I told him to call me back when it got done, an hour plus later I got the call, you can't believe how happy he was when he called back, hence the offer of a free steak dinner of my choice (I'm going to take him up on that).

Anyway everyone should have a Image of their C:\ drive, I'm guessing that everyone who is answering questions here has been doing it for years.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, too, Mike. I've already created recovery tools on various media, using W10's built in features. I reset my computer once before using these same tools.

Hi

Reset isn't the same as an image file.
Reset doesn't save all your data installed software and settings.

An image file will restore your computer to exactly the way it was when you created it with nothing lost including your boot sector.

It's the easiest way to restore a corrupted or non booting computer.

If I was to reset my computer it would take me several days to get it back to where it is.
That was true of my friend as well, that's how he lost all of the stuff on his C:\ drive, he thought that doing a reset would just fix Windows and retain everything else.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

Reset isn't the same as an image file.
Reset doesn't save all your data installed software and settings.

An image file will restore your computer to exactly the way it was when you created it with nothing lost including your boot sector.

It's the easiest way to restore a corrupted or non booting computer.

If I was to reset my computer it would take me several days to get it back to where it is.
That was true of my friend as well, that's how he lost all of the stuff on his C:\ drive, he thought that doing a reset would just fix Windows and retain everything else.

Mike

Mike, when I reset my computer, my files were retained OK. Of course, I had to reinstall some programs, but that was expected.

Back
Top Bottom