Windows 8 Unwanted Microsoft "Store" pop-up in Win 8.1

Wintings

I am a traditionalist and so run permanently in "desktop" mode because I don't like the look and feel of the new Windows 8.

Ever since I installed Windows 8.1 a blank green Microsoft "Store" window pops up from time to time on my desktop. When I click on it, the green is replaced by a normal Store page advertising trending apps, etc.
This unwanted Store pop-up seems to appear at random intervals and is a real nuisance. I certainly never expected to get unwanted advertising pop-ups from a company like Microsoft!

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this annoying intrusion?

I do not get this pop up at all. Did you upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1 or some other OS to Win 8.1?

Are you certain that this "pop up" is not some notification that some of your installed apps have updates available in the Store?

To disable notifications from the store, press Win+C to bring up the charms menu, press settings and then "Change PC Settings" down at the bottom. From here, go to "Search and Apps" and then "Notifications". Click the slider beside Store to turn off notifications. You can turn them off for any other app here as well.

To disable notifications from the store, press Win+C to bring up the charms menu, press settings and then "Change PC Settings" down at the bottom. From here, go to "Search and Apps" and then "Notifications". Click the slider beside Store to turn off notifications. You can turn them off for any other app here as well.
Thanks a lot. Very helpful.

Actually - it's still popping up :(
I completely disabled all notifications and the pop up is still occurring when I boot up. Do you think it could be in some startup folder. I don't know where the one is for me as a user but have checked
· C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp and there is nothing in there.

Here is a reply claimed to have worked for the OP, Wintings.
The reply is supplied by one of our members, badrobot......
Here is badrobot's answer :
Try if you can change your preferences here: Microsoft personalized ad preferences Click the sign-in link on the "green tile". And then click "X" to turn ads off. You will need to use your Microsoft Account.
................. end of quote ..............

my screenshots
1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like your computer is infected with adwares, adware is a kind of malware that infect system and display malicious ads on the screen. To remove malicious ads from computer use free malware scanner. This scanner will remove all types of malware from your computer system.

My Notifications setting for the App Store was already in the Disabled position yesterday when I got a notification in the upper right of my screen that said "Hurry! Get your free Word Templates". Until that time I had been using this Windows 8.1 pc for about 5 months without ever having seen a single pop up App ad.

Without really thinking, I clicked on it. The App Store opened to an App for a free Word template. At the very same time, a webpage opened in Chrome that was for the same 'free template'. The website appeared to be in Russian. Also at that same time, my webcam turned on.

Today I got the same pop up ad again.

Seems like a virus, but here's the strange part... this App is really in the App Store. You can find it in the App Store by searching for 'Template for Word'. The first sentence in the Description says "Template for Word helps you do your business!".

It also comes up as the first result when I search the web in Chrome for "Windows store free Word template scam". It's on a Microsoft website page.

Is this coming from a virus? If not, why does the notification keep popping up even though I've got Store App notifications set to off?

Last edited:
This 'Template for Word' ad continues to pop-up everyday, even though I already have my Microsoft personalized ad preferences set to Off and my Windows App Store notifications disabled.

Does anyone know how to stop this pop-up?

Back
Top Bottom