Windows 7 unzip utility in Windsow 7

waltswife

Is there an unzip utility that comes with Windows 7? Or do I need to get Winzip? Or is this the same thing? Got new laptop for hubby and just not sure.

I have XP and Vista on my old PCs and have used Winzip all the time.

Thanks.

While there is an extraction utility built into Windows 7, it is very basic and you may want to try WinRAR for file extensions such as CD/DVD images (.iso) and RAR compressed files (.rar). http://www.rarlabs.com

Thanks Mike. I guess I should put the 'ultimate zip' on the laptop. That's what I have on the PC. But can you tell me who to find that built-in one?

Personally I am a Win Zip fan I have the latest Win ZIp 14.
I also attained a free copy of RAR 3.80 with the key.

• ISO is an archive format that is used to make images of optical disks. These images can be stored and used to replicate the disks. WinZip does not create .iso files, but it can view and extract the contents of .iso files.
  • RAR is a compression and archiving format. The compression technology is proprietary however the decompression technology is not. WinZip does not create .rar files, but WinZip can view and extract the contents of .rar files.

Thanks Sarge. I have the WinZip also, but it's an older version. I'm still trying to figure out where the built in thing is. Why download something if there's something built in that will do the job.

Just go to start button help and support click it on and type in search bar the word extract you may find your answer there.

Back