Windows 10 update 20h2

Fenway16

Honorable Member
I received the notice today that I had to do this update. So I started the process and it did a couple of shutdowns and now it looks like it has totally shut down. Should I restart the pc? I don't believe it did any update at all. Thanks.

Solution
Depending on the processor, memory, and disk speed an hour or more is not unheard of. I would say that if it goes beyond 2 hours a reboot would be in order.
Actually it hasn't shut down. The keyboard is still lit. Is it doing anything in the background or should it be posting anything? Thanks,

Depending on the processor, memory, and disk speed an hour or more is not unheard of. I would say that if it goes beyond 2 hours a reboot would be in order.

Solution
Well lo and behold - it didn't post anything like it usually does when doing updates of any sort. I turned if off after about 30 minutes of silence - when it came back on it said: "you've been updated". to 20h2. So I guess this was a strange, quiet update. All seems to be working fine. Thanks.

Thanks, but I avoid these updates when I can. My system is perfectly fine for me and I always hear about disasters after the updates. So I was not happy when a little box came up saying, "it's time" pls either restart now or tell us when you want to and we'll take care of it". so I did it. It looked like it wasn't doing anything and all the previous window updates such as this one claim to take a looooong time. This just didn't fit the storyline. Anyway seems fine. Thanks again.

Avoiding updates? Think of it twice, you certainly need the security updates.

Be patient, the time it takes updates to completing may be tantalizing long, but most times they do complete. You will find elsewhere on this forum a question from me where it went wrong. For some reason my Windows got corrupted. I used the build-in repair to re-installing Windows. Quite a job, but far better then being exposed to outside dangers.
Just my thoughts.

Nice that everything went alright.

I only avoid them but I do do them. This one was available starting in Oct of last year I believe. Until I was told I had to do it, I avoided but I did do it. Thanks.
Additional info re: this last update. Now when I start the pc The Dell logo comes up - good - it then goes to the window with the start up or go to Macrium start up - I choose the former as I always had. Now instead of it going to the window where I would put in my password, it just sits with a dark screen, not a black screen - it is still on. But not going anywhere. So I must turn it off and then the window with the password place comes up and I can log on. NOt healthy. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited: