Windows 7 Update Vs Clean install pros and cons of both

jimbo45

Hi guys
I agree absolutely that in general a Clean install is usually a better approach however in the case of a Beta that might not always be a good idea.

In the case of Windows XP ===> W7 X-32 there are some drivers that Vista hasn't got yet - even though though in some cases the XP version will work.

With a Clean install -- these programs for me would not work.

NO LAN connection even though my Via velocity family gigabit ethernet card was reported as working correctly and using the latest driver.

Hauppage Win TV tuner wouldn't work for Digital channels (was OK on analog).

Epson 1290 Photo Printer stubbornly refused to do anything (again Windows reported driver as working 100%..

Winamp failed to show any options for CD ripping -- I rip to FLAC a lot so this is a MUST program.

Windvd did work but was a bit of a pain to get it to go --needed a few installs.

Some Stock exchange "Charting Software" would only give me blank screens. (Applications actually written for XP).

So I did XP==>Vista Ultimate X-32==> W7 X32.

Guess what --the WHOLE Kybosh worked first time.

I did all the VISTA updates before going from Vista Ultimate to W7. My Vista Ultimate was "Borrowed" from another computer so I didn't activate it. You can still get 30 days so no prob there and the Windows 7 activation doesn't check whether the previous version of Windows you upgraded from was activated or not.

You can't do this trick to upgrade XP PRO via Windows Vista Home premium -- only works with VISTA Ultimate.

I tghink the upgrade process seems to think if the XP working driver is OK then don't bother doing anything -- or perhaps it automatically sets the "Program Compatability" levels in ways I don't know about. The inner workings of Windows in any case are beyond the understanding of "lesser mortals" like me.

Anyway you've got one Very Happy Camper now even if it a bit of a long winded way to get to W7 ftom XP.

The only program I had to uninstall was NERO -- worked again on re-install.
Alcohol 52 doesn't work but I knew that anyway and I have some really old legacy hardware which I also knew about -- Windows XP Virtual machine handles these.

So whilst in general if you've got Networking or some other intractable problems on a clean install it might be worth your while also doing waht I did --just takes a bit of extra time and you need to find a Vista Ultimate X-32 image somewhere - just borrow one from a colleague / work - you aren't actually going to activate it but just use it as a One Time Migration tool.

Cheers after a long night,
now a nice glass of Scotch (or two) and I can go to bed happy.
Jimbo.

Clean install is always better, period.
Whether your stuff works right off the bat or not is irrelevant. If it can work via upgrade, it can work without the upgrade as well, you'd just have to install it correctly (Which in some cases, may mean a direct driver install from device manager).

The only advantage to upgrading is not having to reinstall programs or move any files, and frankly that's not much of a reason anymore with the speed of PCs and their backup drives.

I had heaps of problems when I did the upgrade. I wouldve saved myself a lot of time and heartache if Id taken Kyles advice from the start.

Clean install is always better, period.
Whether your stuff works right off the bat or not is irrelevant. If it can work via upgrade, it can work without the upgrade as well, you'd just have to install it correctly (Which in some cases, may mean a direct driver install from device manager).

The only advantage to upgrading is not having to reinstall programs or move any files, and frankly that's not much of a reason anymore with the speed of PCs and their backup drives.

I agree with this 100% Kyle. I have always prefered Clean Install to upgrade and always will. Upgrade, to me, is just a huge waste of time.. ;)

Hi guys -- I did a "Clean install" having wiped the desk clean first so there was Nothing "Incorrectly" installed

But NOTHING -- repeat NOTHING would get the wretched LAN card to work -- downloaded all updates (Via wireless) etc etc. Tried every possible Driver I could find --- still no joy.

Upgrading from Vista Ultimate -- card worked straight away -- driver details both from Microsoft .

I agree in principle that a Clean install is always better but it's not always possible.

For example I have some old programs where the company doesn't even exist any more and the old install files are gone (programs had to be installed via the NET from their site -- wasn't possible to download them) - rather like Adobe does for some products and some Linux distros as well - usually called a Net Install.

Actually the Net install method is going to be used more and more so a Clean install could in future get more problematic as the providers of software might charge again after a number of installations - / activations.

It's always amazing how "Corporate Greed" inevitably raises its head once someone comes up with a possible revenue stream.

So whilst I don't disagree in principle with doing a "Clean" install as opposed to an Upgrade you can't be 100% dogmatic about this. For some instances only an "Upgrade" is viable.
(And I still can't understand why my LAN card refused to work with New install but worked fine when going from XP==>VISTA==>W7 upgrade path).

Cheers

jimbo

I've done both. An upgrade over Vista SP1, and a clean install over a freshly re-formatted drive.

Fresh install wins by a landslide.

:D

If you have a dual core machine or better and are going to do a clean install you might as well take the plunge now and install the 64-bit version since you may not have the opportunity otherwise.

I don't want the 64 bit version as I've heard reports that one of my most important programs, Adobe Audition 3 doesn't work right with it. I'm also concerned about 64 bit compatible drivers for my sound card.

So until more programs are compatible with 64 bit, I'll stick with 32 bit for now.

I've done both. An upgrade over Vista SP1, and a clean install over a freshly re-formatted drive.

Fresh install wins by a landslide.

:D

I don't think you actually READ my post -- Where possible yes Clean install wins but if it's a question of Clean install and miss some applications or upgrade then you HAVE to do an upgrade.

Some peole do use their computers for other things than basic Multi-media and Internet Browsing.

As my post previously said if the only way of installing was by a NET install and the business is no longer there then you basically HAVE to upgrade or find an alternate application -- which for some Engineering stuff is not often possible.

I agree that Clean is better WHERE POSSIBLE but please READ the posts before making a blanket statement that CLEAN INSTALL IS ALWAYS BETTER.

In any case daily life is full of compromises -- same applies with Computer operating systems as well.

Cheers
jimbo.

I did read your post. I also had the same idea as you about older programs working with older systems. I thought the upgrade over Vista SP1 would be a good idea, I thought it would work great, and it did for about a week, then it started to degrade, and after a few system restores, nothing was working properly, I had bugs everywhere. So I did the fresh install and W7 has been working great ever since.
Hopefully, you'll have better luck. I was just sharing my experience and my opinion.

Hi there
Response wasn't intended to start "flaming" -- I agree 100% if you CAN then DO a Clean install -- If I could replace these programs I would but it's specialized Engineering and substitutes can't easily be found.

What I'll probably do nearer a W7 Final is DO a complete fresh install and run the legacy stuff on one or more Virtual Machines.

Actually doing a CLEAN install is usually a better test since it will tell you what will and won't install whereas an existing program might "just run" with an upgrade as older stuff doesn't get wiped -- for example the .EXE program might work in 32 bit mode but the install from fresh will fail with a message like "Unknown / Unsupported Operating System - or this program can / cannot run on a 64 bit system.

Cheers
jimbo

If you have a dual core machine or better and are going to do a clean install you might as well take the plunge now and install the 64-bit version since you may not have the opportunity otherwise.
Run the 64 Bit version here and loving it!!!!

Back