updates won't complete

My windows 8.1 PC keeps updating... About 30% it says it can't complete and undoes them. Can I few a few recommendations? This has happened before! :(

Sounds weird! Do you want the updates? If not, I would suggest disabling them. Only about 5% of Windows users in the world actually turn on these updates.

I don't care either way. My problem is that my computer wont finish booting up. :(

So it's not coming on at all?! Well this is a problem! Try booting your computer into safe mode and look for any suspicious looking programs that could be a virus. If found, remove it immediately!

I'll try that. It updates and unupdates. Never goes on completely.

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
This sounds like the 8.1.1 patch in which case yes it is a big patch.

This sounds like the 8.1.1 patch in which case yes it is a big patch.
The problem is that it doesn't complete the update. It stops at 30% and removes what it did update. Its a never ending cycle it seems.

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
anti-virrus, bios lock or a dozen other things could be blocking it... bit hard without details.
Have you tried running the update patch in safe mode?

anti-virrus, bios lock or a dozen other things could be blocking it... bit hard without details.
Have you tried running the update patch in safe mode?
I did and I fixed it! :)

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I would suggest disabling them.
I am glad that the problem is solved, as it seems many anti-virus programs were causing the discrepancy. Disabling Windows Updates on the whole is an all-around bad idea. Mostly because these updates do contain critical security vulnerability patches that can have a serious detrimental impact to a large number of computers. One of the reasons Microsoft committed itself to releasing security updates every month were the serious a prolonged security problems with unpatched versions of Windows XP. Good thing that things have changed since then.

I am glad that the problem is solved, as it seems many anti-virus programs were causing the discrepancy. Disabling Windows Updates on the whole is an all-around bad idea. Mostly because these updates do contain critical security vulnerability patches that can have a serious detrimental impact to a large number of computers. One of the reasons Microsoft committed itself to releasing security updates every month were the serious a prolonged security problems with unpatched versions of Windows XP. Good thing that things have changed since then.
Yes, but I HAVE seen a lot of computer's get a BSOD after these updates. Happened to my friend WHILE WE WERE in SCHOOL. Luckily I knew a trick that didn't make much sense to me, but it worked to fix it.

I had a issue with updating and being caught in a never ending loop of updates failed after a reinstallation of W8.1, rolling back changes. I ended up only downloading and installing a few updates at a time, then found I never encountered the "updating please don't turn off your computer" loop. It takes some time but ended up working and installed all important updates for me.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.