Windows 8 updates won't complete

seb

My windows 8.1 PC keeps updating... About 30% it says it can't complete and undoes them. Can I few a few recommendations? This has happened before! :(

Sounds weird! Do you want the updates? If not, I would suggest disabling them. Only about 5% of Windows users in the world actually turn on these updates.

I don't care either way. My problem is that my computer wont finish booting up. :(

So it's not coming on at all?! Well this is a problem! Try booting your computer into safe mode and look for any suspicious looking programs that could be a virus. If found, remove it immediately!

I'll try that. It updates and unupdates. Never goes on completely.

This sounds like the 8.1.1 patch in which case yes it is a big patch.
The problem is that it doesn't complete the update. It stops at 30% and removes what it did update. Its a never ending cycle it seems.

anti-virrus, bios lock or a dozen other things could be blocking it... bit hard without details.
Have you tried running the update patch in safe mode?

I would suggest disabling them.

I am glad that the problem is solved, as it seems many anti-virus programs were causing the discrepancy. Disabling Windows Updates on the whole is an all-around bad idea. Mostly because these updates do contain critical security vulnerability patches that can have a serious detrimental impact to a large number of computers. One of the reasons Microsoft committed itself to releasing security updates every month were the serious a prolonged security problems with unpatched versions of Windows XP. Good thing that things have changed since then.

I am glad that the problem is solved, as it seems many anti-virus programs were causing the discrepancy. Disabling Windows Updates on the whole is an all-around bad idea. Mostly because these updates do contain critical security vulnerability patches that can have a serious detrimental impact to a large number of computers. One of the reasons Microsoft committed itself to releasing security updates every month were the serious a prolonged security problems with unpatched versions of Windows XP. Good thing that things have changed since then.
Yes, but I HAVE seen a lot of computer's get a BSOD after these updates. Happened to my friend WHILE WE WERE in SCHOOL. Luckily I knew a trick that didn't make much sense to me, but it worked to fix it.

I had a issue with updating and being caught in a never ending loop of updates failed after a reinstallation of W8.1, rolling back changes. I ended up only downloading and installing a few updates at a time, then found I never encountered the "updating please don't turn off your computer" loop. It takes some time but ended up working and installed all important updates for me.

Back
Top Bottom