Windows 7 Upgrade - 32bit / 64bit

marsinvelvet

Hi, I have an issue installing windows. I know a direct upgrade from 32bit to 64 isn't possible, but I purchased an online copy from Microsoft's site, "Windows 7 Premium Upgrade", and it's supposed to give me a custom installation option, a clean install where I can choose which version I want, since I already have a windows OS.

But it only gives me 64 bit and 32 bit .isos and .exes, and when I try using the 64 bit, it tells me it's not fit for my OS (which makes sense since I am running a 32bit version, and yes my computer is capable of running a 64bit version) but when I go with the 32bit, and choose custom installation, it doesn't give me an option to choose which one I want.

Please tell me I don't need to install XP to actually switch to 64bit, because it's a ridiculous work around.

'Custom installation' is really just another way of saying 'clean install'. A 32bit install will only give the options of either performing an upgrade or a custom installation and not the option to either install 32 or 64bit. Have you tried doing a 'custom installation' with the 64bit os?

Last edited:
It doesn't even start the set up. I've downloaded the exe versions, not the iso file.

When I click on the setup for 64bit system, it says "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Window's you're running.Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86(32-bit) or x64(64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I can't even start the setup, and my computer is 64bit capable.

It doesn't even start the set up. I've downloaded the exe versions, not the iso file. .

There is your problem. You need to be able to boot from a windows 7 disk.

Try this link in order to create an 'iso' image:

Link Removed - Not Found

You've saved me from purchasing the full product, and wasting my license upgrade. There aren't enough ways I could thank you, it worked perfectly.

Back