Windows 7 Upgrade to RC version difficulty rumours

merlinau

There is apparantly a blog from Microsoft indicating that upgrading from the Beta version of Windows 7 is going to be problemattic, including the need to reinstall Vista as one of two tortuous possible upgrade paths !!!
Has anyone any definitive information on this? If it is true you just wonder what the heck it is about Microsoft that they just can't avoid taking something that is working well, and well liked and making some aspect of it really 's.....y'. :mad:
Do they have a, "...how can we piss the customers off?" department there, or what?:frown:

all i can say is that is probaly not a good idea to try to upgrade from a beta anyway. and you should just do a clean install on the RC anyway. just to be on safe side. you dont want any left over beta code on your machine.... just my thoughts.

Yup, the release candidate will be the final appearance of Windows 7 before it hits shelves. They need feedback from testers that has not been corrupted by beta build upgrades, and they need to know what problems are critical before it hits shelves. I am all for this move, you should be truly prepared for a clean install when the final version hits anyway. This OS is too good to perform an upgrade.

I always have performed a clean install of all the betas. I don't lose much as I only use the beta as a test platform not my main OS which I will probably still use as a back up even when the final release is done.

I always do clean install, it takes 1 hour only (including installing my apps), and you get the best out-of-the-box experience.

I keep my data in it's own partition with a copy of my big applications like office 2007 and some hard-to-find drivers + network driver (just in case :p), I email to my self all products keys and activation information.

This way i can do clean-install at any time, and start working in no time.

After clean-install, I let windows update it self, install any missing driver (it's alwyas Synaptics driver for me), and then install my Apps.

Yup, the release candidate will be the final appearance of Windows 7 before it hits shelves. They need feedback from testers that has not been corrupted by beta build upgrades, and they need to know what problems are critical before it hits shelves. I am all for this move, you should be truly prepared for a clean install when the final version hits anyway. This OS is too good to perform an upgrade.

Agreed completely!! Clean install is ALWAYS the way to go in my opinion.. and as you said Mike, especially when installing an OS as good as WINDOWS 7 is!! :) ;)

Back