Windows 10 Upgrade Vista to Win8.1 then to Win10 and new machine

tdxloki

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for opinions! Tell me if you think this will work.

I just bought an Intel NUC which I would like to have running Windows 10.
I have an old, no longer in use, laptop running Vista and access to discounted Win 8.1 upgrade. Can I upgrade the Vista to 8.1, make the Windows 10 install USB media via upgrade path, then use the Win 10 USB to install onto the NUC?

Does this violate some hardware checking of Win 10 during the upgrade? Will the Win 10 install fail on the new NUC when coming from the old laptop?

What do you think?

Basically no. The Vista is tied to the old pc and cannot be used on any other. You don't really need the Vista though as it is my understanding that Windows 8.1 only comes as full version.

To get to Windows 8.1 you would need to first get a Windows 7 upgrade license and then an 8.1 upgrade license. You'd probably be better off just buying a Windows 10 home license for $119

I was commenting regarding if he wanted to go the upgrade path from a Vista license, I don't believe you can upgrade straight to 8.1. The regular licenses are, as you linked, really not the much more than the upgrade path and then you don't have do deal with doing the in place upgrades.

Thanks RichM and Neemobeer. I am just stingy and was looking for a cheap way to get Win10 running on a new system. Based on your advice it seems the least expensive way might be to buy Win7 (or Win8.1) and allow it to upgrade to Win10. Besides Newegg there are other places selling the product key for Win7 OEM for about $25-$40 - try google "windows 7". I wonder if these keys are legit?

Thanks for the info kemical. I thought it might be too good to be totally legit.

Your very welcome. Like Neemobeer points out, if your going to spend money then you may as well just buy an OEM copy of Windows 10 from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom