Windows 7 Upgrade xp pro to Windows 7

ncgreyfriars

I have just run an upgrade from xp pro to windows 7 and deleted the windows old folder but i appear to have lost aprox 100 gig of a 250 gig hard drive and i think that the old xp os is still on the hard drive.

I have looked at the hard drive and it states that it is a 250 gig.

However if i go to Computer and right click the C drive i get the option to resore previuos version which indicates to me that the previous operating system must still be on the system

Therefore anybody how i can remove this and reclaim my lost capacity

Did you delete windows.old correctly as recomended by Microsoft ?

Your hard drive can be full of other old unnecessary files and folders like downloads, games, etc. Follow the outlined steps again and check carefully for old unused items:

1. Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image

VistaStartButton.jpg

, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
  2. Click Disk Cleanup.
  3. In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, click Files from all users on this computer.

Note If the User Account Control dialog box appears, type the administrator password, and then click OK. Otherwise, click Continue.
  4. In the Disk Cleanup:Drive Selection dialog box, select the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK. Wait while the system scans the computer for unnecessary files.
  5. Click the Disk Cleanup tab, and then look for the Previous Windows installations check box.
  6. If you find the Previous Windows installations check box, click to select it, and then click OK.

If you do not find this check box, go to step 7.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the removal of files, click Delete Files.
  8. Wait while the system removes the files. You have now removed the Windows.old folder.
How to remove the Windows.old folder that is generated when you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista

Back
Top Bottom