Windows 7 Upgrading 32 bit vista to 64 bit W7. Possible ?

kaiser2011

I currently have a Vista Home premium 32 bit on my Hp laptop. My laptop qualified for the Windows 7 free upgrade scheme. However the upgrade will only let me upgrade to Windows 7 32 bit, where as i wanted to a 64 bit windows ( i have been using that on my desktop and want to use it on my laptop as well).
I emailed Hp, if instead od windows 7 upgrade disk, they could send me a windows 7 installtion disk from which i would be able to choose which eidtion i want to install ( i know i will have to completely wipe out old OS and install the new one). They however told me that they can only supply the upgrade disk.

Is there any way i can switch to 64 bit without having to buy a new retail windows 7 disk. Is it possible to reinstall OS in 64 bit from a recovery disk made from the windows ( i think it is not but still want to confirm). ?

Since i will have a windows 7, which means i will have a windows 7 license and a valid key, can i download a 64 bit windows 7 bit from the internet and use my windows 7 key to activcate it ? The Windows 7 licesence/key allows 64 and 32 bit installions right ?

Any help or suggestions would be very helpfull. I do not want to use the 32 bit windows. My laptop had 4 gb Ram and 2.53 Core 2 Duo with a 1 GB Ati Graphic Card. I am pretty sure you will understand why i want a 64 bit Windows on it.

All retail editions of Windows 7 ship with both the 32 & 64 bit DVDs but on your laptop there is an OEM version. And OEM versions are 32 OR 64 bits but not both :(. So you can't install a 64 bit OEM Win7 with a 32 bits OEM license.

'kaiser2011;,

1st, let me welcome you to the Windows 7 Forums :) Next let me address your query...

I'll tell you what HP didn't & I'll tell you what you cannot do. You cannot download Windows 7 from the Internet, let's dispose of that 1, straight-away. Nor can one go x86 to x64 via an in-place upgrade!

Now, what I'm about to say is based on normal Full Version/Upgrade Windows 7 retail discs. I am not dead sure there is anything 'different' w/ the HP supplied discs. That said, IF you have a 'regular' Windows 7 Upgrade disc, here's the scenario:
#1. Yes, you can use the Key you already have currently for x86 OR x64.
#2. IF the hardware supports x64 AND IF a fresh, clean install is done that x86 Vista machine can go to x64 Windows 7
#3. Yes, #2 can be done via Upgrade disc.

There are 2 ways to approach #3:
1 involves finding a file on the disc named ei.cfg & deleting it before running the disc. This allows one to install whatever flavour of Windows 7 wanted. The other is the "Double Pass Method". The disc is run once selecting "Custom" install but not activated, the disc is run a 2nd time seleting Upgrade, & then activated.

I'm sorry, I'm really not certain how or if this changes w/ manufacturer supplied Upgrade media.

If you do this all programs & apps will have to be loaded, including an A-V.

If 'forcing' a clean install is not something you do the only alternative to accomplish what you want is to buy a Full Version retail Windows 7.

Regards,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

Actually when you run the "Second Pass" in step #3 above you must do this from the booted copy of Win 7 on the hard drive, i.e. "CUSTOM/CLEAN" install and then from the newly installed Win 7 on the hard drive, run "SETUP" on the DVD and select "UPGRADE". Once completed the activation key will be accepted.

You cannot download Windows 7 from the Internet,

Microsoft has offered direct Windows 7 downloads - they only listed Preminum and Pro

Microsoft responds to Windows 7 student upgrade SNAFU with direct ISO download

...but you can find more links from searching.

You must purchase a key to activate it though. Microsoft wants people to download and evaluate Windows 7 because they give eveyone 30 days to try it out in evaluation mode before you have to activate... they also include an option to rearm incase you get an unactivated version on a computer you buy and the first 30 days have expired.

All retail editions of Windows 7 ship with both the 32 & 64 bit DVDs but on your laptop there is an OEM version. And OEM versions are 32 OR 64 bits but not both :(. So you can't install a 64 bit OEM Win7 with a 32 bits OEM license.

Is it true that OEM versions are just limited to 32 or 64 bit license.. ?

Ah i just mailed microsoft themselves asking them if OEM lisence covers both editions or not. I was googling a lot and in some places people told me OEM does have both.
I am still vary of it.
Will update this thread once i get a reply from them.

Amazed at the prompt reply and such nice support. Really. I wasnt expecting such instant replies.

Thanks all

Regards,
kaiser2011

Ah i just mailed microsoft themselves asking them if OEM lisence covers both editions or not. I was googling a lot and in some places people told me OEM does have both.
I am still vary of it.
Will update this thread once i get a reply from them.

Amazed at the prompt reply and such nice support. Really. I wasnt expecting such instant replies.

Thanks all

Regards,
kaiser2011

I'm curious about what they will say since OEM is not supposed to be used by end user. They go so far as to say that OEM is NOT to be used even by computer builders on their own machines. OEM licenses are ONLY to be used on computers that are SOLD.

Abstracts from a Microsoft FAQ :

" [FONT=&quot]Acquire an OEM license with additional hardware from your system builder" .It means an end-user can get an OEM license.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]To make a clean install you can use the [/FONT]Windows Easy Transfer wizard. If you own a removable hard disk, Windows Easy Transfer can copy your data to that disk and then copy data from that disk to your new computer.
[FONT=&quot]
And I'm also curious to read Microsoft's answer ... if any.[/FONT]

Abstracts from a Microsoft FAQ :

" [FONT=&quot]Acquire an OEM license with additional hardware from your system builder" .It means an end-user can get an OEM license.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]To make a clean install you can use the [/FONT]Windows Easy Transfer wizard. If you own a removable hard disk, Windows Easy Transfer can copy your data to that disk and then copy data from that disk to your new computer.
[FONT=&quot]
And I'm also curious to read Microsoft's answer ... if any.[/FONT]

i didnt quite understand what you meant by "[FONT=&quot]end-user can get an OEM license[/FONT]".
I have read quite a bit here and there that people with 32 bit OEM installed 64 bit version. For some OEM worked im guessing, for those that didnt work, they just callled up micrsoft and obtained a new key. The condition was that window version had to be the same, like home premium and had to be on the machine on which the OEM preinstalled window came on.
They basically then just activated it by phone. Can someone confirm this ?

Still waiting for the microsoft reply. Will post it here definately for sure once i get it.

Well yes,,, end user will eventually end up with OEM versions... but the issue is that Microsoft does not allow builders to sell their oem versions(only INSTALL them) and I don't think microsoft will sell you one unless you can convince them you build computers and sell them to the public... then you probably have to buy 20 or more. But I could care less. I think major vendors like Tigerdirect is selling oem disks with an oem keycode. They took them off eBay. Any version of windows you get has the potential to do a clean install.... but will your key work after a clean install?

I was able to upgrade from Windows XP Pro 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. It did not even ask for the former license key. Make sure you have the proper DVD (64 bit version) in the drive and that the BIOS is set to first boot from CD ROM, choose "Custom" in the only two install options.

You might want to make sure you have the 64 bit drivers for all the important hardware in your machine, video card, audio, etc.

Regards,

EDAL

Last edited:
I was able to upgrade from Windows XP Pro 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. It did not even ask for the former license key. Make sure you have the proper DVD (64 bit version) in the drive and that the BIOS is set to first boot from CD ROM, choose "Custom" in the only two install options.

You might want to make sure you have the 64 bit drivers for all the important hardware in your machine, video card, audio, etc.

Regards,

EDAL

Was this one the OEM license ?
And how do i set up the BIOS to first boot up from the DVD. Isnt this option set by default ?

I have another new question. I have a friend who has a 64 bit Vista on his HP laptop. He is also eligible for the upgrade. What if i use his 64 bit CD to install my window and use the key provided to me to activate it ?
Will that work ?

And microsoft still has not replied. I did get a automated response. It said my queries will be answered in one buisness day. I am guessing the weekend is now here so lets see what reply i get on monay
:)

As far as I know BIOS is setup to boot from the HD, then the CD ROM. To change the sequence start up the PC, wait for a beep and press "Del" or "F8", it'll tell which one, or whichever other key. Then in the set up look for Boot sequence and choose CD ROM. However, if you don't feel familiar with this procedure, or up to it, I'd recommend having someone else do it for you.

After that, and before you save the new settings, open the the CD tray and put the Win 7 64 bit DVD in it, then save the new settings, and the system should boot to the Windows setup screen. Remember to choose "Custom install".

You do have a MB and processor capable of running a 64 bit OS right? I assume you do.

As to the other question, no, it was not an OEM license, notwithstanding, I don't think that'd make a difference as long as it's legit.

As to the third question, I don't think it'll make a difference either, as long as your friend did not do (or tried) the upgrade and his CPU number was registered, you should be able to use the DVD fine. Just make sure you have your Win XP license key, in case you're asked for it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My system usese F2... but they usually tell you when they are booting. You would probably have faster boot time if the system didn't check the dvd under normal use... but you want to boot to the dvd you need it listed first or have no os on whatever is listed ahead of it. If it's not listed it will never check the dvd.

Back
Top Bottom