Windows 7 Upgrading from XP

JohnG38

I have windows 7 upgrade discs I bought and used to upgrade from vista. The pc in question has now been scrapped. Can I use the disc for a clean install to replace Xp on another PC? If so, will I have to do something about registration with Microsoft?

Hi

I don't think it will let you do that it if the XP install is an OEM installation.

Look at the serial number for the XP machine and see if the serial number looks like XXX-OEM-XXX etc. if it does then i probably won't let you do it, if the serial number isn't OEM then I should let you do it.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Even if you can do the upgrade you may have to contact Microsoft to authenticate it.

Mike

Do you mean simple upgrading? The discs won't do that from XP. But I read that they would do a clean install of 7, which I guess means it doesn't matter what the XP version is. (sorry if Ive misunderstood :) )

...........The pc in question has now been scrapped..............
Please clarify.
Was the Win 7 still installed in the computer when it was "scrapped ?
If yes, the answer is : no
Reason : as far as MS is concerned, that Win 7 product key is still in use. As such you cannot use the same key for another install to another computer.
On the other hand, if you had managed to uninstall Win 7 from that Vista computer before it was scrapped, then the Win 7 product key is free to be used for next install.
.......... one product key, one install.................

Hmm. Is there no way to transfer registration if I contact them?
The pc in question simply died and would not function. So no choice.

The other part of the question of course is will the discs function as a clean install, assuming I could reregister?

Hmm. Is there no way to transfer registration if I contact them?
The pc in question simply died and would not function. So no choice.

The other part of the question of course is will the discs function as a clean install, assuming I could reregister?

The critical point is ..... one must have a valid product key.
You can use the Win 7 Upgrade disc to do a clean install. After installation is done, you will have to activate with a product key. If the key is not valid, activation fails.

Last edited:
If you call Microsoft support and tell them why you scrapped it, they may be able to help you. I put a knew motherboard in mine and they gave me a knew key to activate with.

They wanted to make sure that it was not being used on another computer still in operation.

Back