Windows 7 Upgrading my motherboard.

Knalatos

Hey guys, new to the site and all. I have a question about upgrading my motherboard and cpu with a new one. Now, to start, let me say that ive tried to do some research on the subject, and Ive read that if your chipsets are different on each board, then you're going to get hit with a BSOD when you put in the new one and try to boot up. Is this true?
My current board is a DFI LanParty DK 790FX-M2RS, AM2/AM2+ socket
Im looking to get this Asus M4A89GTD motherboard.. AM3 socket. The original's chipset has
a "AMD 790FX" north bridge. The new one has a "AMD 890GX" north bridge. Can anyone give me advice on how i should begin this task? Should I do a clean install or just replace the hardware and boot, or what? xD This is foreign soil to me.

When changing out mobo and CPU, it's all ways best to do a clean install. I would highly recommend in doing so. Just remember to backup what ever you want to keep....photos, email contacts, videos and so on.

I agree with Bassfisher in that it is always best to do a clean install.

Will it work using the original hard drive? ...Hard to say and certainly no guarantees could be given. If you make an image backup, then you can do whatever you want. You will have to reactivate no matter which way you go.

This assumes the install was not made with an OEM version of Windows 7....

This assumes the install was not made with an OEM version of Windows 7....
Exactly! This is because you cannot legally transfer OEM licenses to new computers (and an upgraded motherboard is considered a new computer). If your Windows install disk is “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or says OEM/System Builder, Upgrade, Academic Edition, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", then it is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment".

Back