Upgrading to Win 7 from Vista for Business

jo5030

Bought Win 7 Home Premium and want to upgrade my Vista Business based laptop. I had hoped to do the upgrade (rather than to clean install) but I gather that this is impossible. I am reluctant to do the clean install if I have to reinstall everything. It seems to me that I have a couple of options:

1. Install Win 7 as a dual boot, and then delete Vista when I am happy that everything is running OK in Win 7

2. Do the clean install and do the reinstall. I use Shadow Protect to back everything up to a separate drive - if I do this, can I just restore using that backup system?

What is your advice?

John

1. Install Win 7 as a dual boot, and then delete Vista when I am happy that everything is running OK in Win 7

2. Do the clean install and do the reinstall. I use Shadow Protect to back everything up to a separate drive - if I do this, can I just restore using that backup system?

You can and should do 1 no problem. As for the 2, you can still use Shadow Protect on your Vista's partition, or you can install and use it on 7. I don't understand your 2nd question, what do you mean ?

Why not reformatting your Vista's partition and then doing a clean install of 7 on it ? Or do you need both systems ?

jo5030

cybercore - thanks for your quick response. What I meant in Q 2 was the following:

1. Do a complete backup of my data using Shadow Protect under Vista to my external drive
2. Do a complete install of Win 7, removing all trace of Vista etc
3. Restore my data from Shadow Protect (although I guess that I will have to handle that manually as it will no longer be able to restore automatically as the source drives will have changed
4. Reinstall my main apps, and re-link them to the restored data (where appropriate - .pst files. Firefox favourites, eWallet contents, RoboForm login details etc)

John

Clear now. :)

I am not familiar with Shadow Protect, but I think you can backup your data in personal folders to restore them later to 7. You should not try to back up your installed programs, you'll need to reinstall them anyway.

You can also use what Microsoft recommends:

Explore the features: Windows Easy Transfer

Transfer files and settings from another computer

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.